Extreme weather plug ins

Discuss here where you plan on buying a Volt, good and bad dealers as well as how to get rebates and incentives for the Volt!
OhoRick

Extreme weather plug ins

Postby OhoRick » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:58 am

I'm considering buying a Volt but am concerned about the somewhat "gray area" owner's manual warning about leaving the Volt unplugged in extreme weather conditions (hot or cold) for "extended periods of time". I know the coolant has to have electrical power to maintain the battery temperature within a specific range while not being driven, but what are the limits (time wise) of this warning? Anybody had any experience with this situation? My concern is that if I have to leave the car for say 3 days in the middle of January at a regional airport I use frequently (no charging stations available), I will return to a battery with coolant that has been frozen solid and thus needing a tow. Is this something to be realistically concerned about or is it just an abundance of caution on GM's part? Thanks,
Rick.

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: Extreme weather plug ins

Postby PatrickZWang » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey Rick,

Not sure exact how cold you are talking about, but the Volt has been cold weather tested in the depths of Canadian winter. If it gets too cold (I believe somewhere below 30F) the gas engine will start up when you turn on the car to warm up the battery.

So if you live in the US, 3 days at an airport should be fine, though you might expect it to use a little gas when it starts up.

Of course, I live in California and don't really know anything about a "cold winter" :)

Patrick

OhoRick

Postby OhoRick » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

Hi Patrick,

I live in Northern Ohio where it can get down to below zero for several days in a row in Jan.-Feb. I was just concerned that if the coolant actually froze solid (possible...?) could the gas engine even be used to then charge the battery and make it go. I was hoping that some Volt owner out there may have had a first hand experience with this type of situation and what the ultimate result was. Thanks for your response.

Rick

BridgeSE

Postby BridgeSE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 am

I have been considering an EV and worried about weather issues, but found this article interesting :) http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11 ... -by-storm/
BridgeSE
Schneider Electric
My thoughts are my own.

trb

Postby trb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 am

I would not be concerned as GM has tested the Volt in extreme environmental conditions. If you have concerns and would like more specific answers you could try calling a Volt Advisor @ 877-486-5846. I assure you that if you were to purchase a Volt you WILL NOT be disappointed. I have driven 4500 miles and used only 5.8 gallons of gas. The car fun to drive, very quick and responsive, comfortable, quiet, and it gets a lot of attention. There are incentives such as the $7500 tax credit and many utility companies are offering incentives for the 240V charging unit through SPX. Many states offer incentives too, unfortunatley Michigan is not one of them.

Return to “Chevy Volt Buyers Forums”