Lifetime MPG

Discuss here where you plan on buying a Volt, good and bad dealers as well as how to get rebates and incentives for the Volt!
ElCapitan

Lifetime MPG

Postby ElCapitan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 pm

I drove about 300 miles recently mostly in gas mode. My "Lifetime" MPG is still 76 mpg and climbing. Was wondering what other Volt drivers Lifetime was averaging. I have just over 1300 miles on the car. Anyone?

coffee4matt

Re: Lifetime MPG

Postby coffee4matt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:50 am

After 1,217 miles my lifetime MPG is 114. Love that I can find that out on my iphone! 8-)
Only had my Volt for 3 weeks now, so I am still in the constant grin/ "romance" phase; I can tell that members for whom the novelty of this technology has worn off aren't as vocal about them.
Love this car! :lol:

Shelton Voltswagon

Postby Shelton Voltswagon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 pm

250+

coffee4matt

Postby coffee4matt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Just returned last eve from a 7 day driving vacation to Lake Tahoe and southern Oregon & back from So Calif., in my new Volt.

We drove 2,073 miles over 7 days, or an average of almost 300 miles/ day. According to my re-settable trip odometer, we used 50.8 gallons of gas, for an average of 40.8 mpg during the trip! Before the trip my lifetime mpg (for the first 2,400 miles on the car) was 126 mpg. Now after all that gas driving, and with almost 4,500 miles on my Volt, my lifetime mpg has dropped to only 65.2 mpg. Not to worry, during a typical work week I drive 400 miles, almost 100% electric, so I will get that up > 100 mpg again in no time!

I managed to find a place to plug my Volt in (120V/ 12 amps) for 6 out of the 7 nights we were out on the road! So counting the night at home charging before I left, I benefited from 7 full overnight charges during 8 full days of driving. It was actually kind of a fun challenge to scope the parking lots at all the resorts/ hotels we stayed at to find an overnight parking space with an outlet within reach of my 15' extension cord, and I learned some neat "tricks" where to look. Never had any problem whatsoever with security guards or hotel staff. (I only needed to use my extension cord twice). A motel owner where we stayed in a tiny No Calif coastal town by the sea helped me find an outlet near our room, and he enjoyed hearing all about the car!

The Volt's info center told me I drove 354 "EV Miles" on this particular trip, so if you do the math we would have gotten only 33.8 mpg on the trip if the battery was fully drained before we left, and I had not been able to recharge ever during the 7 days. That sounds about right, considering we crossed a number of mountain range passes on our trip (at least 6 different mtn. ranges), and had the A/C going most of the time, temps in the 90's.

BTW, we had NO PROBLEM crossing mountain passes of 6,500 ft, fully loaded and w/ the A/C blowing. You just need to learn a few simple driving techniques! Put it in "Mountain" drive mode at least 20-30 mins before the climbing starts, and leave the drive lever in "L" position rather than "D" (basically all the time), so you can build up some good battery reserves before you start climbing. Just make sure you have at least 10 miles of battery range on hand (15 miles is better, especially if will be a longer elevation climb) at the bottom of the hill, and then keep it in "Hold" drive mode all the way up the hill, using the gas engine for primary juice and letting it tap the battery as a supplement whenever it needs it to hold the speed you're trying to maintain. Unless you want to pass someone (I love blowing by Priuses!!)- then just put it in "Sport" for a few minutes to do so, and then back into "Hold" mode again afterwards when they give up trying to catch you. Coming down the other side of the mountain, be sure to leave the shift in L to replenish the battery !!

Driving 300 miles a day for days on end, this was my technique the whole way. I used "Mountain" mode on long straight sections of highway when needed to try and maintain between 10-15 miles of battery backup at all times during the day, and then drove 90% of the time in "Hold" mode on the highway to hang onto those battery range reserves. I used "Normal" whenever we went through cities like Reno, San Francisco, etc w/ stop & go driving, and for the last 20 miles of the day to use up all the battery before fully recharging overnight.

This is an awesome road trip car!!

martrader17

Postby martrader17 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 am

Hello,how many miles can I travel in electric mode?

jasimpson54

Postby jasimpson54 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:02 am

You can drive anywhere from 20-60 miles on electric depending on the terrain, the temperature, the traffic and how you drive. The colder, (or hotter) it is the worse your MPG, (same as for any other vehicle). I can get approx. 60 miles per charge if it is about 55-75 degrees F, and I can drive a constant 40-50 miles per hour. I also switch to 'hold', if I have to stop and restart at a light until I get up to cruising speed, and use L to brake as needed. The less you touch the pedals the better!

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:55 pm

i purchased at 40,000 from previous owner, it is hovering around 143mpg. manual saus it can be reset by dealer only, i am going to do that some i am the new owner.

Jamaicaman

Postby Jamaicaman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:38 am

I actually own two Chevrolet Volts. The 2015's lifetime mpg is over 200.
http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/5796
The current lifetime for my 2012 is 239mpg

My Onstar prescription ran out in 2015 so the link below is not current.
http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1160

Return to “Chevy Volt Buyers Forums”