potential buyer

Discuss here where you plan on buying a Volt, good and bad dealers as well as how to get rebates and incentives for the Volt!
ggvolt000

potential buyer

Postby ggvolt000 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:34 pm

I am looking around to replace my acura tl-s with chevy after it had suffered from years of transmission problem.
For my next Vehicle, I researched several cars and volt was definitely under the radar as it offers great mileage.
Several questions for owners and specially in CA state:
- there are white and yellow decals from DMV and HOV lanes currently does not allow yellow but only white. It appears yellow decal expired in 2011. Is Volt eligible for white decals so that I can get on HOV with single occupancy. This is crucial for my commute.
- What are the common trouble spots for 1st gen years experienced by owners that I should be paying attention to?
I am buying on budget so lowest cost as possible without compromising also quality so I am finding pretty good ones around 15-16k$ from respectable dealers with chevy certified with around 30k-60k miles.

leppard3

Re: potential buyer

Postby leppard3 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:16 pm

I can't help much with the California HOV lane questions, but my 2011 allows me to travel in the HOV lanes in Arizona when I am alone. Obviously my 2011 is the first year Chevy came out with the Volt. I purchased it in September 2014 as a Certified Used vehicle from a Chevy dealer. Since I have owned it, I have put on over 20,000 miles on it (it had 70,000 on it when I bought it). I have used just 40 gallons of gas in over 20,000 miles, not too shabby. After nearly two years of ownership, I have had only one very minor problem with my Volt. The sensor for the fuel door failed. Not the gas cap, the door covering the gas cap, this caused a check engine light on the dash. Again, just a minor problem, but I went ahead and got it fixed to clear the check engine light. It was past the one year Certified warranty and cost about $275 to repair.
I would have no problem buying a Volt with over 50,000 miles, considering I did already, but 50,000 miles on a Volt is nothing compared to 50,000 miles on an ICE. As you can tell I would highly recommend the Volt to anyone even considering it.

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:09 pm

thanks it looks like relatively good car, still doing research, pity that i live in condo where most owners wont vote for charger. So only way i can get charge is through public stations and my employer (cisco) also provided what appears to be free L2 240volt chargepoint station at my workplace. So I think I can take adv. of those. My understanding is that I have to buy extra charger for volt to take adv. of 240v charging rate?

leppard3

Postby leppard3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:01 am

Not sure I understand your question about "buying an extra charger for 240v". And yes, living in a condo will most likely be a problem charging even with the 110v charger. If your employer has a 240v charger, you need nothing else to use that, it will charge your car in just under 4 hours. For my home, I purchased a Clipper Creek LCS-20 charger after deciding the 120 volt charger just wasn't working out, too slow and too hot.
Anyway, if your commute one way is 20 miles or less and you can charge at work for free, you will be using very little gas.

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm

just purchased it today from napa valley chevy. it was lovely. white with 40k miles at 16500$ what a technological marvel compared to my old acura.

leppard3

Postby leppard3 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 am

Congrats.
What model year did you get?
And I usually check this board at least every couple days if you have any questions.

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:51 am

it was 2013. I still purchased without demonstrating the charger in action i should have done it. currently zero charge and waiting for my chargepoint card.
the finance lady pushed me the warranty product from toyota which covers lot of parts when it goes with layered price plan ranging from add'l 30$-50$ a month. Normally for mature technology like gas car I would not give a damn about it but for hybrid I am actually contemplating. The car has still powertrain warranty until 100k which means within next 60k miles it should cover transmission (none?), engine (I am assuming powertrain will cover both eletric (12v and hi-voltage) motors and gas generators. Has anyone purchased this warranty through dealer and think worth it? What else are major component that can be potentially be protected by this warranty. Lady insisted that I make a decision during the time of purchase not later but later gave me some flexibibility for making up my mind till this weekend.

If I cancel the warranty later, the monthly payment will apply toward the loan, which is OK but kinda weird.

Return to “Chevy Volt Buyers Forums”