240 volt outlet - What else do I need?

Discuss here where you plan on buying a Volt, good and bad dealers as well as how to get rebates and incentives for the Volt!
jjsodapop

240 volt outlet - What else do I need?

Postby jjsodapop » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:42 pm

I just recently purchased a house that has two 240 volt outlets installed in the garage. It was marketed as outlets for electric vehicles. I am in the market for a Volt, since I drive approximately 50 miles each way to work. My original plan to take public transit was crushed when the time schedules added hours to my workday.

So, my question is this. If I already have a 240 volt outlet, do I also need a "charging station" or is the outlet enough if I purchase a portable 240 volt charging cord? I'm a little bit confused about the charging station vs. a 240 volt stand alone outlet.

Thanks for any info. Hoping to be a Volt owner by the end of this year.

mikeindurango

Re: 240 volt outlet - What else do I need?

Postby mikeindurango » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 pm

JJ, I just purchased a 2018 Volt. I have been researching many charging options. Since the Volts built since 2016 come with a charger that can be used with 220 volt outlets, I found this link to many adapters, one that should work for you. I am using a welder outlet I already have in my garage. It is to my understanding, by doing this I am able to charge my Volt using both hot legs of the 220 outlet, therfore getting 2 x 12 amps of charging thru the stock charger. Here is the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/384390572/ ... l-2-charge

I have only about 1200 miles on my volt, but have used very little gas so far. I hope this helps.

mikeindurango

Return to “Chevy Volt Buyers Forums”