RANGE GOING DOWN AFTER CHARGING OVERNIGHT

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
tnvoltowner

RANGE GOING DOWN AFTER CHARGING OVERNIGHT

Postby tnvoltowner » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:14 pm

I have a 2011 volt number 3085. I have both the level one charger that came with the car and I have installed a level 2 charger at my home and at my office. I only had the level one charger at home for 3 or 4 weeks and I was amazed at how the range went up to 42 miles over time after I had charged overnight. After I installed the level 2 Voltec chargers I noticed the range beginning to go down over time. At first 40 miles, then 39, 38, 37,36,35, and today after being on charge overnight and all day today 34 miles. The car is setting in my 70 degree basement charging and the weather has been moderate here in Tennessee for the last several weeks. I was wondering if anyone else has been having this problem or If I am the only one?? I contacted my Volt advisor and wasn't given a lot of help from them. They only wanted to give my tips on getting better mileage from the charge that I was getting. The problem is that I am not getting as much charge as I was before. I tried going back to my level one charger but it didn't help any. If any one else is having this problem please let me know or if anyone has had a battery problem please let me know.

Thanks,

Restlessone

Re: RANGE GOING DOWN AFTER CHARGING OVERNIGHT

Postby Restlessone » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Get the dealer to run a diagnostic on your batteries and charging system.

Solsen

Postby Solsen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:42 am

I have the same issue with my 2011 Chevy Volt that I purchased in May, 2011. In the beginning, I was seeing overnite charges of 40-42 mile range. This lasted for several months. Since the beginning of August, my Volt has had a steady decline in battery range from overnite changing. I am now at 29 miles for a full charge. Again, this is down from 40-42 miles on a full charge. I have done nothing different. Begin charging in the evening (120volt), and have a full charge in the morning for my morning commute to work. Hope to get to the bottom of this issue. Other than that, this has been an excellent vehicle for my driving habits.

tnvoltowner

Postby tnvoltowner » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks for the responses. I did carry mine to the dealership here locally and the said they ran tests on the car and found nothing wrong with either the battery or the charging system. he blamed it on the weather here in Tennessee. We have had a few 30 degree nights but not a lot. The car is garaged every night when it is charging in a heated garage at a constant 69 degrees. I will be interested if anyone else has the problem.

Thanks

Vincesy

Postby Vincesy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 pm

How much deterioration in battery capacity or how much of a drop in EV range is needed for Chevy to consider replacing the battery under the warranty program?
What good is a battery if it drops to just a fraction of its original capacity? Is this defined clearly somewhere?

jivskip

Postby jivskip » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:52 am

For what it is worth - same happening here. But only a few miles so far. Dealer also said somewhere in the software is a calculation of driving style. If I hot rod the car (very easy to do) my battery will handle support less and less miles. I don't know where this is placed in the calculations however. But the car does seem to learn how I drive in Delaware and make adjustments. The adjustments seem to have stopped by the way.

Jeff N

Postby Jeff N » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Assuming your driving pattern and technique have not changed, the most likely cause of reduced battery range is due to use of the heater and/or window defroster as temperatures get colder in the Winter. Electric heating takes a lot of power (a lot more than air conditioning). Check your climate control screen. Even in "fan only" mode you will see some reduction in range if the battery itself gets cold because the chemistry happens slower at colder temperatures (just like regular AA batteries etc.).

You can try to avoid some use of the heater by pre-heating (pre-starting) the Volt via the key fob or via the smartphone app while the car is still plugged into the grid. This is most effective when connected to 240V. This runs the cabin heater for up to 10 minutes (or A/C for cooling in Summer). After that, you can pre-start one more time for another 10 minutes if once isn't enough to get cozy warm.
The answer is 0042.

Solsen

Postby Solsen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Still confused as to why charging overnite shows a full charge as being 25 mile range vs. 42 miles several months ago. Has to be a logical reason for this decline in full charge mileage range. Off to my dealer.

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:43 pm

I'd wait at least a year to see how this evolves. Have you actually measured the EV miles you really get?

The numbers on the screen are just an evaluation, and real world use can be seriously different (depends on driving style, use of ac/heat etc..

Sparky2012

Postby Sparky2012 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 am

I have experienced the same issue. The range started at 40 when I first got the car and then it declined with each charge. It is currently at 26 (and holding). The temperature here in KC has got colder. I was told that the range is an estimate based on several variables - the three T's: Temperature, Terrain, and Technique (Drivers style of driving). They suggested that I reset the trip odometer on each charge and keep track of the actual range by calculating it based on the actual miles travelled, on a full charge, until the gas come on.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”