RANGE GOING DOWN AFTER CHARGING OVERNIGHT

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
RaceShopSteve

Re: RANGE GOING DOWN AFTER CHARGING OVERNIGHT

Postby RaceShopSteve » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:27 pm

I have had my Volt for two weeks now and it has 700 miles. I have noticed the battery range has dropped from 42 miles down to 35 miles. I am not happy with this! :( :( :( Any suggestions??

Chevrolet Cust Svc

Postby Chevrolet Cust Svc » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 am

@ RaceShopSteve,

Sorry to hear about your reduction in range. How recently did you notice this change? It is important to remember that the EV range displayed in the vehicle is a prediction based on the recent driving conditions. It is normal for the displayed value to adjust while the vehicle is driven as this estimate is constantly being re-calculated. Adjustments are based on recent driving history for the vehicle. The displayed EV Range can vary from season to season, week to week, day to day and even drive to drive.

Volt Advisor Trevor
Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team
If you have any further questions feel free to contact the Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team
(877) 486-5846
Volt Advisor Hours:
Monday - Friday 8AM to 11PM EST.
Saturday 11AM to 8PM EST.

Closed on Sunday.

RaceShopSteve

Postby RaceShopSteve » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi,Trevor
I have only had the Volt for two weeks. I just noticed it this past weekend after taking a 45 mile trip. The trip had alot of hills so I switched to mountain mode at 2 miles to go. When I got to my destination it said I had 9 miles to go. I did the same thing coming home and got the same results. Monday morning going to work only went 36 miles on EV. Trip home from work did not make it home on EV. My comute is 36 miles. Teusday morning only got 30 miles, I did run the heat and got stuck in back up. I understand the heat uses the battery. Coming home tonight I had another stop to make and it went 45 miles. Alot of slow traffic to regen battery.

Regards,
Steve

Chevrolet Cust Svc

Postby Chevrolet Cust Svc » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am

@ Steve,

What region of the country do you live in? I believe this may have something to do with temperature.

Volt Advisor Trevor
If you have any further questions feel free to contact the Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team
(877) 486-5846
Volt Advisor Hours:

Closed on Sunday.

RaceShopSteve

Postby RaceShopSteve » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Trevor,
I live in Baltimore Maryland. Maybe you are right, those trips that got less miles were around 45 degrees out.
This morning I did make it to work with 2 miles to go. It was around 55 degrees. Tonight I made it home and it showed I had 10 miles left. It was 70 degrees.
Regards,
Steve

Chevrolet Cust Svc

Postby Chevrolet Cust Svc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:23 pm

RaceShopSteve,

All electric vehicles are less efficient in hot or cold conditions. This is a function of battery storage capability and greater use of air conditioning and/or heat in these conditions. We noticed a lot of customers reporting that their EV ranged spiked during the recent heat wave in the East and Midwest. When temperatures drop, it is not uncommon to see your EV range go down as well. With summer just a few months away, you will definitely start to see range near or even above what you were experiencing (42 mi) as the temperatures go up.

Volt Advisor Trevor
(877) 486-5846
Volt Advisor Hours:

Closed on Sunday.

debraredhead

Postby debraredhead » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Have any of the folks that saw reduced range, show an improvement now that we have been in summer?

Mtoregon

Postby Mtoregon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:04 am

I've had a 2013 Volt for a year now, and am wondering if battery storage has diminished. Seems like my range was in the mid to upper 20s last winter, and this winter I've been closer to only 20. Fully aware that climate control and remote start use up storage, but even in ideal summer conditions when only using the radio, I've only once seen the car expect 38 miles, and made it no more than 34. One time I did go 50 miles (coasting down from Mt Hood). Our current 30s and 40s temps aren't that bad to only make it 23 miles are they? I have climate set on auto at 77, heated seat of course, being reasonable I think on usage, and about 1/3 of my commute reaches 63 mph max.
Charger port problem was noticed and warranty fixed during normal service.
Now most of the door handle receivers are failing, heard this is maybe warranty issue.
Great car otherwise and plan to upgrade, but can I really say that battery storage is normal when I go to sell?

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”