No access to charging station at SFO airport

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
Jaysun111

No access to charging station at SFO airport

Postby Jaysun111 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:21 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner of a Chevy Volt (yay!) and was delighted to learn about the reserved "Green Vehicle Parking" for plug-in electric/hybrids at the San Francisco airport with free charging. However, upon arriving to the airport short-term parking lot (Domestic terminal), I was dismayed to learn that I could not access the Level 1 or Level 2 charging plugs without a ChargePoint account or one of those RFID-based ChargePass cards. Given the urgency of making my flight, and no clear way to quickly sign-up or how to request access to the charging station, I had to leave my car there without access to charging it. :roll:

This was a poor user experience to say the least! Thankfully my Volt has a backup gas motor to get me home on a depleted battery - one reason I purchased the gas/electric hybrid in the first place. I since have Googled ChargePoint and know more about how the stations work. I'll be giving my feedback to SFO and to Coulomb Technologies about this experience. Has anyone else encountered this or a similar experience?

-Jaysun
Last edited by Jaysun111 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: No access to charging station at SFO airport

Postby PatrickZWang » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey There,

Long Term parking at SFO is just a standard 110 outlet with no chargepoint card so that's the closest I've come.

It's quick and easy to sign up for a card though and now you have it!

Patrick

Jeff N

Postby Jeff N » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:47 pm

I haven't seen the specific ChargePoint chargers at SFO but I'm going to assume they are the same as the ones used elsewhere. There should have been an 800 number in fine-print on the charging station for you to call if you didn't yet have a ChargePoint RFID card. The operator can enable the station for you without your needing to have a card.

That phone number should probably be larger and more obvious.
The answer is 0042.

Solsen

Postby Solsen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:59 pm

We are in the pioneer stages of EV's, so one should be patient with charging stations meeting all our needs " right now". With my 2011 Chevy volt, I see little need for charging stations scattered around a community. Home and work are the logical locations. I did not buy my Volt based on having access to public charging stations.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”