120v Charger Ground Loss problem

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
MikeD

120v Charger Ground Loss problem

Postby MikeD » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 am

I picked up my 2012 volt a few days ago. I love it. One problem I am having: At home my charger seems to work fine. At work it trips out with a ground loss fault once in a while. (Top two lights flashing red). We triple checked the outlet and cannot find any problems with the ground or any other issues. We are an electrical engineering and equipment manufacturing firm so I assure you we know what we are doing. I would say the only difference between home and work are since there is a significant amount of industrial machines on the line at work, the harmonics are no doubt significantly higher which can cause some issues with very sensitive electronics. However we have hundreds of computers and other electronic equipment on the same 120vac side of the transformer as the oultlet for my Volt and they have no problem.

As a test to surges, spikes and AC supply distortions efffecting the charger at home, I started and stopped a compressor and a log splitter several times both plugged into the same outlet as my Volt. No problems - it rode it out. Even cycling power on and off rapidly - it always recovered.
Th ground loss fault at work never recovers. You have to power the charger down and turn it back on (unplug and replug. Why is there no on/off switch??)

Anyone else out there have any "Ground Loss" problems with the charger?

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: 120v Charger Ground Loss problem

Postby PatrickZWang » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Hey Mike,

I've had occasionalissues with my 240v charger at home. Unclear if its an equipment issue at this point - I'm getting some diagnostics done right now (the CT500 has logging functionality). I'm sure you know a lot more about GFCI circuit logic than I do so can't help you as to what might be going on.

Patrick

michaelmur

Postby michaelmur » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 am

your outlet at work may have a bad GFCI. try it from a different outlet or change the GFCI and see how it goes.

michaelmur

Postby michaelmur » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 am

another thought: the outlet could have some internal corrosion and/or loose blades which cause loss of contact with the ground receptacle. fix is the same: change the outlet.

JGVANOVER

Postby JGVANOVER » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:12 pm

I have the same problem when charging my Volt. It doesn't happen at home but at my motor home. I plug into the park power supply 110's and it trips the groud fault after about two hours of charging. I've tried both 110's on the post but it continues to trip intermittently. Even tried charging it while the coach was disconnected from the pole. Strange phenom. Moving the coach to a new location with a dedicated 240 for the Volt and hoping that solves the problem.

John

nielp

Postby nielp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Same problem with all of the outlets in my garage. Interestingly, the outlets in the house do not have the problem. So something about the ground circuit in the garage. My garage outlets do not have GFI protection at all, and I'm trying to figure out if that has something to do with it. I could a GFI outlet in and see what happens, I guess. Debating on whether or not to have an electrician troubleshoot the garage outlets or just suck it up and buy the 220V.

nmaguire

Postby nmaguire » Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 pm

I have the same problem at my work. The company was good to cordon off an EV parking area and we now have 7 vehicles. Every couple days I come out and my Volt is not charging. The red lights are flashing on the cord unit. The outlets must lose the ground connection at some point but sticking a meter on it does not show history of course. The Leaf's will restart charge whereas my Volt stays off.

awallac1

Postby awallac1 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:24 pm

The Volt charger draws big time from the Ground wire! I ran a dedicated wire for my Volt and bundled the ground wire like all others were at the sub-panel (wound together and screwed to the box). This was not good enough for the Volt! After pulling my hair out I looked at the main panel and some ground wires were directly wired into the common/white wire in the box. So I separated out the Volt ground wire from the rest of the ground wires and wired it into the common / white wire ground block in the panel. Problem solved! My whole house may have been wired this way which is why I had to run a Volt only wire (went through 3 chargers). So if you are having problems, I'd go into the electrical panel (or have an electricain do it if you haven't been here before) and make sure all ground wires are hooked into the common/ white wire grounding block....it needs a really good ground!!!! PS On my way out to hopefully get a second Volt in the family! :D

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”