120 v ext cord

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
colinb

OK to convert my 120v Volt Cable for a 220v Outlet

Postby colinb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 am

I have access to a 220v outlet in my garage from where the dryer used to be. Can I just purchase a plug converter for the 120v end of my Volt cable to get a faster charge? Is that safe or has anyone done that?

I'm a BRAND new Volt owner.. just got the car last night. Love it, and I'm exploring options for a faster charge other than installing a Level 2 charging station in my house.

Thanks everyone.

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: 120 v ext cord

Postby PatrickZWang » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Colin,

The unit with the car is not rated to run the higher power @ 220v, so i wouldn't advise you just change the plug. getting a real 240 station is the way to go. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Patrick

ElCapitan

Postby ElCapitan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:27 pm

OK to convert my 120v Volt Cable for a 220v Outlet
I have access to a 220v outlet in my garage from where the dryer used to be. Can I just purchase a plug converter for the 120v end of my Volt cable to get a faster charge? Is that safe or has anyone done that?

I'm a BRAND new Volt owner.. just got the car last night. Love it, and I'm exploring options for a faster charge other than installing a Level 2 charging station in my house.

Thanks everyone.

Don't do that. I would imagine it would void your warranty immediately.

Labamba32

Postby Labamba32 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:33 am

jamesrau wrote:You'll notice the 120VAC charger cord gets warm while charging. If you use a 12 ga. extension, it will get about equally warm. To be safe, I picked up a 10 ga. extension, which handles the amperage better, and stays completely cool while charging. It may be overkill, but I'd go with 10 gauge.

This is some great advice. I was using a higher gauge wire and it got so hot that it melted the plastic on the connection (luck for me it was between the the extension cords I was using and not the Volt charger). Given that I was wondering if anyone has been able to find a retractable 10 gauge extension cord? I have been scouring the internet and haven't found anything. I figure a retractable cord would look a bit nicer than a random extension down the driveway.

hollywoodjuicer

Postby hollywoodjuicer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Interesting -- a good 12 gauge extension cord should be able to handle 15 amps without heating up. Were you charging at 8 amps or the 12 amp setting?

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”