Coulumb vs. Blink?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
C2117

Coulumb vs. Blink?

Postby C2117 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:06 am

I'm a thrilled new Volt owner (28 days) and preparing to install a Level II Charger. I live in Los Angeles. Does anyone have experience with (a) Coulomb's or (b) Ecotality's (Blink) Free Charge Station Program? How intrusive is their data collection program? Can "free" really be free?

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: Coulumb vs. Blink?

Postby PatrickZWang » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Hey There,

I got the Coulomb Unit Free about a year ago. afaik they collect primarily usage data and logs of any hardware faults with the CT500. (They can pull records from the unit that help diagnose Ground Faults, Overcurrents, time of use. amount of use, etc.)

So far its been good to me except the the occasional Ground Fault issue. (Occasionally interrupts a charge). If they are still available for free its been pretty smooth sailing for me.

Patrick

nmaguire

Postby nmaguire » Mon May 14, 2012 11:49 pm

I want to take advantage of the free Coulomb charger but SPX is quoting $2600 to install it. I don't even need a new panel.. They know I am getting $1200 from the Bay Area transt so they are taking advantage of it and gaming the install costs. At this point, I am sticking with 120V or looking for another option.

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Postby PatrickZWang » Tue May 15, 2012 10:03 am

Dang $2600 is steep. I had to get my whole panel redone to accommodate the extra circuit and that was quote at $1600 (with the $1200 credit it was only $400).

Did they already go on site to inspect? I'm not sure how the process is nowadays.

Patrick

Victor

Postby Victor » Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 pm

nmaguire wrote:I want to take advantage of the free Coulomb charger but SPX is quoting $2600 to install it. I don't even need a new panel.. They know I am getting $1200 from the Bay Area transt so they are taking advantage of it and gaming the install costs. At this point, I am sticking with 120V or looking for another option.

I went through the same thing. I called SPX and complained more than once. Finally I got a person who worked with me...and sounded like they heard this complaint often. Basically the electrician knows he's going to get $2400 (1200 install, 1200 parts). So they'll pad it to double dip and get money from you AND the gov't. The girl at SPX hooked me up with a great electrician in the So. Cal area where I live, and he came in under the grant, so I had no out-of-pocket expense.

Like you, I did NOT need a new panel, but the first electrician wanted to give me one, and run more service to my house. The second SPX electrician just hijacked an unused 240v dryer plug in my garage. I have a Coulomb CT500. It's pretty awesome, my charger shows up as a little house on the Chargepoint map on my phone. I can even stop a charge from my phone with the Chargepoint app.

Good luck

Vic

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”