Feedback for GM

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
tmoyers

Feedback for GM

Postby tmoyers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 am

I am not sure this post is appropriate here but I wanted to provide some of my likes and dislikes for my volt.

Pros:
1. Great gas mileage
2. Nice interior design
3. Nice exterior design
4. Gas/electric option

Cons:
1. Driver/passage road noise – I own a Lexus RX-400H that I hear total quiet when it is running on electricity and expected the same from my Volt but I didn't get it.
2. Front end clearance issue – I have a slight pitch on my driveway and this car always scrapes…annoying

Overall I wouldn’t hesitate to buy this car again if I could hit a reset. The cons are minor and I hope if you, GM, visit this site you consider upgrades on future model years. Feedback is essential to creating a superior product!

adstudent

Re: Feedback for GM

Postby adstudent » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi, I'm a senior advertising student working on my final project which focuses on the volt, we're trying to pinpoint the target market so that is what this survey is for.
thanks so much to all of you who have done the survey so far. Your insights were really helpful. We've now tweaked it a bit and added different questions so I'd appreciated all my Volt owners taking this really quick new survey> http://kwiksurveys.com?s=LHKDHF_3d42a3b4

pzrk1c

Postby pzrk1c » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Not to make excuses, but the front fascia helps aerodynamic flow significantly to assist with maximum fuel economy. The noise issues surprise me, but I haven't driven the latest Lexus hybrids to compare. I (proudly) work for GM engineering and will pass your comments on to some people that work directly with alternative fuel vehicles- just to make sure that your feedback does get noted and hopefully we can improve! Thanks- Mark

Randy Greaves

Postby Randy Greaves » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 pm

As background, I installed solar panels on my house in 2010 and I purchased my Volt in October, 2011. My solar panels produce on average, 30 kwh per day and I use about 15 kwh per day with my Volt, so basically, I am driving on sun power.

I have been listening and reading comments from Volt owners and I have been trying to figure out why I like my Volt so much. For me personally, I have finally figured it out. It makes me feel positive about the future of my country and it removes my guilt for frivolous driving. When I was young, (the 60s) everyone drove everywhere, without much purpose, just for the fun of driving... and it was fun!

People still drive everywhere but with the cost of gasoline, the dependence of the US on Foreign oil imports and the impact of oil development on the environment (the Golf Coast and Alaska in particular) it has been personally difficult for me to feel good about driving anywhere, let alone “just for fun driving”. Well, thanks to the Volt, I am once again driving and feeling good about it. Sunday drives, going nowhere, extra needless trips to the store; wasting sun power… that is a lot of freedom. Cool, very cool.

I hope that someone at GM reads this. All the Best, Randy Greaves, Ph.D.

nielp

Postby nielp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 pm

500 miles in, I'd have to say that the Volt is about 90% right on. Here's the key that I think most people miss: It is a good car - regardless of what it uses to move down the road! My suggestion for Chevy's marketing department would be just that. If people drive it, they love it. You can't compare it to a cheap econocar, as everyone seems to want to do.

OK, enough praise. Some nits:
1) Yeah, all the buttons are cool, but I like to drive. I'm having to take my eyes off the road more often than I care for. Something a bit more intuitive, please. Of course, all most all cars are headed the wrong direction here.
2) All the 'beep beep beep' stuff in reverse is annoying. The car isn't that big. I appreciate the sensors and I guess the camera is nice, but I don't need that many reminders every time I shift into reverse.
3) Ground clearance is an issue. I like low and sleek, but I've had to learn some auto gymnastics to get in and out of the driveway. It scrapes as much as my Corvette did!
4) The car is so silent that I hear every suspension clunk. The one I hear the most often is the clunk from the passenger rear with any bump or pothole. Not sure how to fix that, but someone at Chevy should look a little closer at the bushings and dampers in the rear suspension.
5) This isn't a Chevy thing directly, but SPX is really ripping people off. The installation quotes are WAY out of line. My SPX installation quote was $1,200. My own electrician said about $300. I understand a little mark-up, but 4x???

You know what? That may be about it. So far, 500 miles and not one drop of gas.

RickT

Postby RickT » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:35 am

I am a Chemical Engineer by degree, but for the previous six year I have worked with maintenance and reliability in a large chemical company. For me to take a leap and buy a fairly new technology like the Volt is a huge leap of faith. After a week of ownership I am extremely pleased and impressed beyond my initial expectations. Several of my "nerd" friends that have ridden in the car with me have said the same thing-impressed beyond what they expected!!! To me, this car is like a glimpse of what America could be! Once we get more cars on the grid, we can focus on better ways to feed power into the grid. Until then coal fired power houses with very efficient pollution mitigating scrubbers are much preferred to high numbers of tail pipes out there. Way to go GM!

One small specific question I have regarding the regenerative breaking and low gear. I have been trying to adjust my somewhat aggressive driving style, but occasionally in spite of my best efforts I must break hard or choose to use L gear and break more lightly. I am assuming that low gear increases the amount of battery regeneration compared to hard breaking. Is that a bad assumption? Is very frequent use of low gear something I should not do in order to not put excessive wear on drive train components? Or is this a good practice that is encouraged to maximize battery regeneration? If you want to encourage the use of low gear deceleration, you may want to consider a spring loaded push button on the shifter that can be held in to go into low gear for deceleration.

psaunders300

Postby psaunders300 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:29 pm

One small specific question I have regarding the regenerative breaking and low gear. I have been trying to adjust my somewhat aggressive driving style, but occasionally in spite of my best efforts I must break hard or choose to use L gear and break more lightly. I am assuming that low gear increases the amount of battery regeneration compared to hard breaking. Is that a bad assumption? Is very frequent use of low gear something I should not do in order to not put excessive wear on drive train components? Or is this a good practice that is encouraged to maximize battery regeneration? If you want to encourage the use of low gear deceleration, you may want to consider a spring loaded push button on the shifter that can be held in to go into low gear for deceleration.

I am curious about the same thing. Is it a good or bad practice to use the low gear to slow down instead of braking?

Loving my new Volt, BTW!

nmaguire

Postby nmaguire » Mon May 14, 2012 11:40 pm

SPX is extorting money out of Volt owners at this point. They quoted $2600 to tie into an existing box, run 70ft of wire through an easily accessible crawl space, then punch through a wall and run 15ft of conduit. Permit fee is reportedly $300 but I checked with the town and it is closer to $65. Looks like I will stick with the 120V unless someone has an option. Living in NorCal, I get a free Coulomb charger and $1200 off installation - they know this so I get the $2600 quote.

awallac1

Postby awallac1 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:15 pm

I've just started using the sport mode! Lots of fun, makes it seem like a different car....more like a sports car! It would be nice if it would stay in sports mode instead of going back to the regular mode all the time!!!! Don't know why my son wanted an Audi A5 instead of a Volt....but maybe if he'd driven it in sport mode?

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Randy Greaves wrote:As background, I installed solar panels on my house in 2010 and I purchased my Volt in October, 2011. My solar panels produce on average, 30 kwh per day and I use about 15 kwh per day with my Volt, so basically, I am driving on sun power.

Our solar array produces about 30KWh/day in the summer months and that is more than enough to give me "guilt free driving". The idea that I can drive 40+ miles for free with NO carbon emissions is beyond AWESOME! I am grinning and my pulse is just racing as I drive knowing that I am being a responsible steward of Mother Earth AND having a blast driving the Coolest Vehicle ON the Road! :)
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”