Feedback for GM

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
ValerieVolt

Re: Feedback for GM

Postby ValerieVolt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:35 am

"I am curious about the same thing. Is it a good or bad practice to use the low gear to slow down instead of braking?"

Shouldn't make any difference, provided you brake early and gently it uses only regen until very low speeds where there is virtually no energy to capture. If you brake aggressively or late the standard friction brakes engage to add to the regen you are getting. Pick your gear and avoid being a digital off/on driver.

ValerieVolt

Jeff N

Postby Jeff N » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Right, whether you use the brake pedal or use 'L' for heavier regeneration when you take your foot off the accelerator makes little difference to the wear on the drivetrain (motor & battery). Most of the braking will occur regenerative my in either case unless you really stomp on the brakes. Using 'L' makes it easier to maximize regenerative energy capture for many drivers but consistent and gentle braking with the brake pedal in 'D' can do nearly as well at avoiding friction braking and may help maximize gliding rather than unnecessary regenerative braking. From an efficiency perspective, all braking is less efficient whether regenerative or friction.
The answer is 0042.

DarnellCarson

Postby DarnellCarson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 am

Randy Greaves wrote:As background, I installed solar panels on my house in 2010 and I purchased my Volt in October, 2011. My solar panel produce on average, 30 kwh per day and I use about 15 kwh per day with my Volt, so basically, I am driving on sun power.

I have been listening and reading comments from Volt owners and I have been trying to figure out why I like my Volt so much. For me personally, I have finally figured it out. It makes me feel positive about the future of my country and it removes my guilt for frivolous driving. When I was young, (the 60s) everyone drove everywhere, without much purpose, just for the fun of driving... and it was fun!

People still drive everywhere but with the cost of gasoline, the dependence of the US on Foreign oil imports and the impact of oil development on the environment (the Golf Coast and Alaska in particular) it has been personally difficult for me to feel good about driving anywhere, let alone “just for fun driving”. Well, thanks to the Volt, I am once again driving and feeling good about it. Sunday drives, going nowhere, extra needless trips to the store; wasting sun power… that is a lot of freedom. Cool, very cool.

I hope that someone at GM reads this. All the Best, Randy Greaves, Ph.D.

Pretty nice.. Even my power consumption is near about 15 kwh per day so I can use these panels.. I know initial cost is bit high but still in long run it will prove to be worth investment.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”