Cold Weather Starting

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
bretta

Cold Weather Starting

Postby bretta » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 am

I have a new 2012 volt and love it. The only question I have now is will my car start when the weather is really cold and I don't have car plugged in?. I always keep it plugged in but what happens when I am at the mall and have no place to plug in. The owners manual said that if its cold you may need to plug car in to warm batteries so it will start.

trb

Re: Cold Weather Starting

Postby trb » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:36 am

The car will start without being plugged in when the temps are low. When the ambient temp is below 35F (approximately.......because I'm not sure the exact temp) the gas generator/engine may come on for a short period of time but not to worry, as this is normal.

bretta

Postby bretta » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:53 am

Thank you trb for your reply

Adam007

Postby Adam007 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 am

Well I also have the Chevy volt 2011 but I haven't see any problem in the car while using it outside. I think there must be some other problem with your car because I drive the car in 2 or 3°C without any hard starting problem.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”