Driving in low gear

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
Mb1kenobi

Driving in low gear

Postby Mb1kenobi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Today I drove mostly in low gear because my top speed was never more than 30 mph. I noticed that in my normal 18 mile commute I used up approximately 14 miles worth of battery.

So my question is what is the optimal speed to be shifting on? If I shift at 40 mph to low gear will this damage the gear?

Also, is my math right? My estimate is that I could drive 50 miles, in low gear, even though the guage starts at 44.

Is anyone else noticing this from driving in low gear?

awallac1

Re: Driving in low gear

Postby awallac1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:54 am

I always drive in Sport mode. Takes 3 button pushes to do this with every start. Faster and uses about the same energy. Low gear probably uses about the same amount of energy.

trb

Postby trb » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:33 am

You can drive in low gear at any speed as there are no gears plus you get maximum regen without using the brakes. For the last number of months I have driven in low 100% of the time. Try driving in low and sport mode!

Mb1kenobi

Postby Mb1kenobi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:31 pm

I like how low slows me down and I don't have to move my foot much. It's funny how I tend to automatically lift my foot now and slow myself at the right moment.

I don't know though about the battery mileage because I ran the whole battery down today and my total miles driven on the battery was 39.

Anyone been able to run their battery down and get more than 40 miles?

Also, how accurate is the gas guage? I'm going to see how low that will go. I'm hoping it won't jump from 10 miles left to 0 in 3 real miles.

trb

Postby trb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:26 am

This past summer I got close to 50 miles on a charge. Of course the outdoor temp was optimal for that to happen. I purchase my Volt this past April and still have the gas that came with the car (4500 miles and 5.7 gallons of gas used). The gas guage seems to run pretty accurate. I would suggest not cutting it too close with the gas guage because should you run out of gas with a depleted battery you will probably need a tow truck.

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:45 pm

We drive in L mode 100% of the time to optimize regen on the rolling blacktops in our rural area. But we have also really become used to using the accelerator as the "brake" and then just touching the brake pedal as we slow to a stop. I just use sport mode for passing or freeway on-ramps. Gotta save those kilowatts!
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

trb

Postby trb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 am

I don't use sport mode very often either and typically use it for passing just as you do. It is amazing how quick the car accelerates in sport mode.
I've really gotten use to driving in low and allowing the electric motor to slow me down. There are definitely a couple of added benefits to the Volt because the brakes should last a lot longer and the oil change interval can go up to two years. So we're not only saving money on gas but on maintenance items too.

jamesrau

Postby jamesrau » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 am

My top range in summer months was 45 miles.
I too use low to decelerate to recoup whatever power I can, but normally drive in D. I would expect that the energy used to accelerate X mph is more that what you can recover decelerating in low for the same X mph. This would only NOT be true if the regen were 100% efficient. I think we'll see optimal range only using Low when we know we need to decel, not other times when we're essentially continuing on.

SpaceCadet

Postby SpaceCadet » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Mb1kenobi wrote:I like how low slows me down and I don't have to move my foot much. It's funny how I tend to automatically lift my foot now and slow myself at the right moment.

I don't know though about the battery mileage because I ran the whole battery down today and my total miles driven on the battery was 39.

Anyone been able to run their battery down and get more than 40 miles?

Also, how accurate is the gas guage? I'm going to see how low that will go. I'm hoping it won't jump from 10 miles left to 0 in 3 real miles.

Yes, I routinely get 42-43 miles on a charge. I coast as much as possible and drve a bit below the spped limit with the climate control on fan only.

mpegcto

Postby mpegcto » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 pm

New volt end on Jan 2013 - i get 48 miles every morning on way to work and between 1 and 4 miles left.... i drive consistently in Lower and Sport.....So far amazed - driving in San Francisco area and i have pictures

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”