Driving in low gear

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
Mb1kenobi

Re: Driving in low gear

Postby Mb1kenobi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Good for you. Great to hear you are getting 48.

VoltEnthusiast

Postby VoltEnthusiast » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:04 am

I am a new owner of a 2017 Volt and when I kept seeing discussions on driving in Low gear, I tried it myself. Perhaps it was different for Gen 1, but I don't do as well when I use L. Using D gets me 72 miles on a charge, but L only gets me around 70 miles. That is not an advantage for me, and I actually have to drive "even more carefully" on L if I want to maximize miles per charge. I agree it is close to "one pedal driving", and that has a certain appeal. However, if you want to maximize range per charge, I think one needs to learn how to do hypermiling while using D and not L. Driving in L applies regen as soon as you ease off the pedal, and that is as it should work. However, I find the effective braking of regen in L to be less than using regen paddle in D. Coasting in D is when one maximizes range in electric mode. I could see shifting to L in heavy "stop and go" traffic, but other than that, or for getting the little "performance boost" of L having more torque and faster acceleration (at the cost of reducing range), I would advise staying in D all the time if you want to maximize electric range. Key to range in any "gear" is keeping an eye on the ammeter while accelerating. I try not to go over 10 kw under 30 mph and above 30 not to go over 20 kw all of which means I don't pass cars often. 8-)

Mtoregon

Postby Mtoregon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:35 pm

In the manual it says low is meant for stop and go traffic and to hold your speed going down hill. If you use it all the time you lose some efficiency by not being able to coast, something it does pretty well. Also seems to work well coming off the highway to use less braking.

VoltEnthusiast

Postby VoltEnthusiast » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:06 pm

It has now been 5 months driving my Volt 2017. Very pleased with its performance. I don't drive in Low anymore. I stay in Drive and use coasting to the max, and use that handy-dandy paddle to slow down before actually using the brake. As I've reported before, I am getting 70+ miles of range on a full charge. I am now up to 111 mpge "lifetime". I seldom use gas, and, yep! there is that somewhat annoying maintenance running under gas, but it needs to be done. I still have most of the gas that came with my car when I bought it back in October 2016. I will have to someday use it and replace it with fresh gas. It's nice to see that the Volt is still outselling all others, but won't be long before the Bolt become number one in sales as Chevy continue to roll it out in more states.

Mtoregon

Postby Mtoregon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Happy to say my 2013 Premier is for sale, only because I just leased a 2017 (premier of course). Luved the older Volt but this new one is amazing! Thanks to those who convinced me to use sport and L more, noticed mileage increase and much more fun. Chevy must agree, why else add the paddle? Works great, using it often is the same idea as driving in low, does the same. Now I only move my foot to stop, greatly reducing wear and getting max Regen. Still using low in the new one around town, think Regen is amplified using both, but D on the highway for sure, when I don't need to slow often the paddle does great, and coasting is easy too. Kudos Chevy!

VoltEnthusiast

Postby VoltEnthusiast » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:52 pm

With the Chevrolet Bolt now available in limited areas, 'one-pedal driving' is gaining some traction in the forums. I assume it works pretty much the same as driving in Low gear with the Volt. I am trying one-pedal driving again to see if I can get better mpge and battery range. So far I am getting less, but perhaps all it will take is more experience so I will keep trying and report back later. In the meantime I will comment that I am glad I did not wait to buy the Bolt. For one thing it's still not available in my state, and the other are the 'horror stories' about owners not having enough convenient fast-charging stations along their route. Finally, I was also happy to get a $7,500 tax credit for buying the Volt!

Mtoregon

Postby Mtoregon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:19 pm

The Bolt is available in Oregon but I'm not seeing discounts or specials and my new Volt ended up $5 to $10k cheaper. Same price ida gone there, but I spent as much as I could.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”