Volt reflections on 100 days of use

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
Mb1kenobi

Volt reflections on 100 days of use

Postby Mb1kenobi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Just thought I would reflect on my first 100 days and share what I like about my Volt and some of the quirky things I've noticed. Overall, I totally love driving the car. Each time I get in I feel the closest to being in KIT the car from knight rider. If only the proximity sensors activated human like audible sentences.

The car's lumbar heaters are excellent and made the difference for me when I test drove the car. I use the heaters everyday. The whole concept of heating your body instead of the air makes a lot of sense. The user interface makes my driving behavior switch from getting there to getting there efficiently. Also, by driving in low I avoid friction braking and don't plan on getting my brakes replaced for the next 3 years. Lastly, I go to the gas station once per month on average.

I drive an average of 27 miles per day. I get 3 miles per kwh. I can not verify how much this costs because I have not gotten a bill yet from LADWP but at most it will be $.16 per kwh. LADWP states that they will be giving a discounted rate but I recently noticed that they are going to charge me a monthly fee $8 to have time of use meter. Not sure yet how this will all break out.

My level 2 charger has been installed but I have not gotten my $2000 rebate back yet. My time of use meter was installed about 3 weeks ago and it's pretty cool to see the different usage quantities at base and peak levels.

I received my carpool diamond lane stickers and used them a few times; however, most of my driving is on the streets.

Some of the observations for improvements in the next generations. The charger door should automatically close. I have forgotten to close that door at least 20 times. Also, what's the CD Drive for? If you own a volt you would have ripped any music off your CD Collection in the late 2000s. The CD slot might be helpful for the cell phone mount I just ordered. Lastly, the onstar remote controls are too slow to be useful. It takes at least 15 seconds to lock the doors and remote start the car. Not sure how you speed that up but for it to be useful it has to be more snappy.

Overall, my experience has been great and hope it continues this way.

ElCapitan

Re: Volt reflections on 100 days of use

Postby ElCapitan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Charging door drives me crazy. I forget it all the time. I have had my volt three weeks and have put over 1300 miles on it. No problems so far.

coffee4matt

Postby coffee4matt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 pm

I have had my new 2014 Volt for 16 days now (750 miles). Here are my initial thoughts:

1. I have become extremely "engaged" in the whole energy-saving pursuit. Much more so than the applicable $ savings would suggest is rationale. This is very interesting, I can't wait to see how long my interest (obsession?) in this lasts. Could be a long while, based on a similar experience with the rooftop PV solar system I had installed on our house in 2010...

2. I have a 40.1 mile each way commute from Laguna Beach to Long Beach, CA. Perfect range for the Volt!! I make it in almost every day with zero gas, even with the A/C on ("Eco" mode), as long as I don't race too many people in "Sport" mode. I can recharge the car at work for free, although they only have a 120v outlet for now, so I only get about a 3/4 charge there. My boss plans to install a 240v charger soon for me...yeahhhh!

3. I love the exterior styling, and the interior fit & finish. The leather looks great. At the last minute on impulse I chose Brownstone over White, and I'm very glad I did.

4. But the seats aren't that comfortable for my back, after 40 miles. Planning a long road trip to Lake Tahoe with my wife in a few weeks, that will confirm whether this is a real area of weakness for the Volt as a road trip car, or not.

5. Can't wait for the HOV Lane Green Stickers to become avail. The state just approved 15,000 more last week.

6. I figure I will add about 3,000 kWh's annually to my home electric meter usage, charging it 6 days/ week. This is almost exactly the same amount I was able to cut my usage over the last 3 years since I got solar at home, by installing LED bulbs and timers. So now I'm back to the same total usage as before I did all of that effort! I wish I had installed a LARGER solar set-up than the 5.9 Kilowatt system I chose at the time (5 KW inverter, it produced 8,800 kWh's last year)...trying to figure out if there is a cost-effective way to EXPAND it now for another 3,000 kWh's capacity or so...

BTW, I figured out that the COST of every "free" kWh I produce with my solar panel is really $0.14/ kWH, once I amortize the capital cost (after all tax credits) of the system over it's expected useful life and production, including efficiency degradation over time. This was a bargain because the kWh's it has displaced during 2013 average $0.29/ kWh, based on SDGE's highly progressive rate structure and my actual net usage. Last month the highest marginal rate I would have had to pay for the last kWh's I actually used was $0.38/ kWh !!!! (Fortunately I didn't use any of theirs, and sent 111 surplus kWh's from my solar panels to them for the month)

I am averaging 113 mpg so far, which will get worse when I drive to Tahoe (a week of mostly highway miles), but better over time as all those "250 + mpg" 40-mile commutes add up at 2 a day....

7. Love the fact that it's a Chevy and not a Toyota or a Honda! I grew up in Detroit and they could use some love these days. This is the car to earn them that attention!

AV Chevy

Postby AV Chevy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:25 pm

coffee4matt wrote:Love the fact that it's a Chevy and not a Toyota or a Honda! I grew up in Detroit and they could use some love these days. This is the car to earn them that attention!

(1st post!)

Glad to see that drivers still care about American made! California does a great job at promoting EV vehicles--it's only a matter of time before the rest of the country catches up :)
Serving the Los Angeles area. Visit us at http://www.avchevy.com/los-angeles-chevrolet

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:15 am

could you provide the link for phone mount? I found there is virtually no suitable spot to place the phone anywhere, cd slot might be a good idea. I had older suction one which worked pretty good for certain time but no longer holding these days.

Namasuke

Postby Namasuke » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:37 am

I'm looking into

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Also, by driving in low I avoid friction braking and don't plan on getting my brakes replaced for the next 3 years. Lastly, I go to the gas station once per month on average.

Actually, if you don't use your brakes they are likely to rust. My rear discs had to be replaced after three years because I always drove in "L" mode and rarely braked hard. The rear rotors had actually rusted to the point that they would not pass inspection. The service guy sat me down and gave me a long talk about this issue and explained that when you do use the brakes they are biased 60/40 with most of the braking energy going to the front discs. So relatively gentle braking engages primarily the front discs and not the rear ones. He suggested that I find an isolated stretch of road and drive at 50+ miles per hour, shift into neutral and slam on the brakes at least once per week to clean off the rear discs.
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”