New Thought for Driving In Low

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
Mb1kenobi

New Thought for Driving In Low

Postby Mb1kenobi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 am

Well, I've got an idea that can make the next Volt better. How about a finger control on the steering wheel to put the car in Low? Place it right next to the volume button.

My theory is that you should be driving in L mode in traffic under 30 miles per hour to be most efficient. In LA where I drive this seems to be a sweet spot for L. However, it would be nice to flip into D when the traffic opens up. Now I have to use the gear shift, like a professional race car driver, which is totally unnecessary motion on my part that my finger can do. It's all about efficiency right?

How about variable strength regenerative braking as well? The less friction the better. In other words, let me select a high and low strength to my regen slow downs. Take it a step further.

Someday in the future how about variable regenerative slow downs based off a forward looking camera that knows when the forward cars are 10 or 20 yards ahead.

Seems a lot safer and efficient for the driver to have a feature like this.

What do the rest of you think?

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: New Thought for Driving In Low

Postby PatrickZWang » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Funny that you mention that ...

Check out my other blog on the Cadillac ELR and you'll see exactly what you are talking about there...

http://www.mycadillacelr.com/cadillac-elr-regen-on-demand-feature-focus/

Mb1kenobi

Postby Mb1kenobi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Looks pretty cool. I'll sign up to be a beta tester.

What's the maximum braking strength? Can this regen braking bring the car to a complete stop?

It should analyze how you drive and recommend strength levels.

Why did they call it a paddle? That's such a low tech misnomer.

Their almost there. Just need to tie it into the sensors automatically to slow or stop depending on how close you are to hitting something.

hbobob

Postby hbobob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm

The only problem with using L is that is a very effective braking mechanism but the tail lights do not go on as they would if you used the foot break. As a consequence, you need to be careful in using the L otherwise you are at risk of a rear end collision. I have suggested to Chevy that they make a software update that would allow the brake light to come on when using L. I hope they do something quickly, otherwise this is likely to be a potential for a safety recall.

cokezero

Postby cokezero » Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 pm

The Chevy repair service person told me to drive in L pretty much all the time to optimize the Volt driving.

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Fri May 24, 2013 6:50 am

I see no reason to switch to D. We drive in L 100% of the time and just touch the brake pedal as we come to a stop most times. On the freeway we stay in L and cruise control which yields great regen on downhill runs, and I'm sure that increases our range.
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

duhannig

Postby duhannig » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 am

I just got a volt and I live at the top of a hill and I drive to the bottom of the 3 mile hill to get to work. When I leave with a full charge the display shows 43 mile range, by the time I get to the bottom of the hill driving in LOW the display shows 51 mile range!

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I have heard that this automatic brake light feature during region is a standard feature of the Tesla model S.

hbobob wrote:The only problem with using L is that is a very effective braking mechanism but the tail lights do not go on as they would if you used the foot break. As a consequence, you need to be careful in using the L otherwise you are at risk of a rear end collision. I have suggested to Chevy that they make a software update that would allow the brake light to come on when using L. I hope they do something quickly, otherwise this is likely to be a potential for a safety recall.
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”