Charging cord

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
profrws

Charging cord

Postby profrws » Mon May 09, 2016 10:53 pm

I have just purchased a 2017 Volt. Should I leave the charging cord (240 Volt) attached to the car even after it is fully charged? Is this damaging to either the car or the charging station?

leppard3

Re: Charging cord

Postby leppard3 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:05 am

The owners manual of my 2011 recommends leaving the car plugged in even after fully charged. This way it will keep the battery at the desired temperature.

goosef16

Postby goosef16 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:07 pm

profrws wrote:I have just purchased a 2017 Volt. Should I leave the charging cord (240 Volt) attached to the car even after it is fully charged? Is this damaging to either the car or the charging station?

I have been reading the tech info and I found the same thing.. In fact they recommend you use remote start while plugged in to warm it up in cold weather before driving.. Remote start will warm everything .. It lasts for 10 minutes, and if you hit the remote start about a minute after you hit it the first time, it will warm up 20 minutes.. It will use mostly electric power to warm up until it needs the engine then it will run the engine.

what a cool car :)

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:59 pm

I leave my Volt plugged in anytime I am not driving it. I live in Maine where ambient temperatures can range from almost 100°F in the summer down to -15°F in winter. The vehicle can use "shore power" to warm or cool the battery bank to keep it in a safe temperature range. Lithium batteries can be severely damaged if energy is drawn from them when they are significantly below freezing, so by using charging power to keep the battery warm it prevents damage.

And I agree that using remote start is a really nice convenience. My carport is nearly 100 feet from the house and it is great to be able to walk out through the snow to a warm car in the dead of winter. But it is particularly great that the energy used to warm the car does not drain down the battery if you leave it plugged in.
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”