Regenerative Braking

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
profrws

Regenerative Braking

Postby profrws » Tue May 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Is regen braking (either via the "paddle" , using "L", or actual braking) producing electricity for the battery when the car is operating in gasoline engine mode? If so, does it register on the left hand side of the instrument cluster? Is it recharging the battery, even if it doesn't show up on the instrument cluster?

leppard3

Re: Regenerative Braking

Postby leppard3 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Regen braking does not "recharge" the battery any more in gas mode than it does in electric mode. The only times I have actually seen the electric range INCREASE while driving is on very long downhill stretches. There is a road trip we take a few times a year that has a nearly 7 mile downhill run where I never touch the accelerator. At the bottom of the hill my battery range has increased anywhere from 3 to 9 miles, obviously depending on temperature, accessory use, etc...

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:12 am

I am wondering how regen braking reduces the risk warping if any? I just ourchased my volt few days ago, do you guys feel the front brake warping is experienced at all and if so happens less frequently than non regen braking? once the disk is warped steering wheel will shake violently on braking. if my theory assumption is right, during less insentive and continual braking, which is actually the primary cause of disk warping, all or some of the generated heat that is the cause of disk warpage should be taken away for charging.

leppard3

Postby leppard3 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:19 pm

I drive in L 100% of the time. I am not positive, but I believe all the braking while in low is done by the motors unless of course the brake pedal is pressed. I have over 90,000 miles on the Volt and the original brake pads are still on it and look almost new. So if the slowing is done by the motors the chance of warping the rotors is almost non existent.

davidgarth

Postby davidgarth » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:35 am

Whether you use "L", the paddle or gently the brake peddle, regenerative braking is doing a majority of the braking, so your disc brakes will last a long, long time. I sold my Prius with 100,000 miles on it and it had almost 50 percent of the brake pads remaining. I think my Volt will do even better.

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:51 pm

that would be nice feature, using the energy generated by braking instead of warping the disk. With my older troublesome acura, it drove me nuts after only few thousand miles, the disk warps and steering wheel shakes even though brake pad has still life left. It means, you just keep driving with this horrible shaking behavior quite sometime before brake pads are all used up. And it is expensive because shops usually recommend or insist on changing the disks too.

ggvolt000

Postby ggvolt000 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:52 pm

it appears also when going downhill with the cruise set to certain speed, regen braking is also used to set the vehicle at specified cruising speed.

goosef16

Postby goosef16 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:00 pm

ggvolt000 wrote:it appears also when going downhill with the cruise set to certain speed, regen braking is also used to set the vehicle at specified cruising speed.

Yes it does. It takes some playing with it..

The way it works is:(2016+)
Regen paddle puts power back in battery using both motors in combination
Brakes when used lightly does the same thing, then as you press harder the discs blend in.

When you hold the regen paddle in, if you touch the brake or accelerator, it overrides the paddle

The paddle will not stop you fully, it allows a slow crawl at very low speeds, but its very effective at high speed and exiting on the highway

In ALL modes the paddle switch regens, as do the brakes up until the point the discs blend in..

I spent an hour playing with it tonight to be sure..

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”