Does Nav System require Onstar

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
johnbfdma

Does Nav System require Onstar

Postby johnbfdma » Wed May 11, 2016 5:06 pm

I have reached the end of my free 3 years of OnStar. I note that they want to charge me $35.77 per month for the Guidance Plan that includes navigation.

It is unclear to me if the Nav system will still work without OnStar or am I only giving up:
- Push your blue button and tell an Advisor where you want to go
- Destination Download
- Use MapQuest.com to review a destination and send it to your vehicle

I have never used any of those services, nor have I ever used the OnStar minutes.

But loosing the Nav system would be a real bummer. Do I need to keep OnStar????

johnbfdma

Re: Does Nav System require Onstar

Postby johnbfdma » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Since there have been no responses, I thought I would try asking again. Can anyone offer any guidance?

leppard3

Postby leppard3 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Hope I am understanding your question correctly, but anyway I maintain my OnStar subscription. It is well worth the money to me just for the remote start via the RemoteLink app. Here in Arizona, you want to start your car way before you get in it.

So, I cant give you exact information since I do have OnStar. If you are just asking if the Navigation system in the car will still work, I would have to say YES it will still work. I believe you can still enter addresses or points of interest manually and it will navigate you there. I think what you will lose is the ability to send your car an address through MapQuest (since it sends through OnStar). And obviously you cant contact an OnStar advisor and have them send an address to the car. But I would imagine the actual GPS Navigation will still work without OnStar.
Not sure if I was much help but I can't imagine Nav would be disabled if you cancel your subscription.

Allaisa

Postby Allaisa » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:51 pm

I do not see the connection between OnStar and the Navigation system. Nav system works on GPS sensors. In fact I had a Camry with a Nav system and I did not have OnStar (only GM cars have it). Now GM Volt has something like 8 yrs free subscription for 'basic' OnStar and I have another app from Chevrolet which they said will work even without OnStar (for remote control of the car)

coffee4matt

Postby coffee4matt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:13 am

I'm pretty sure ("95%") that the vehicle based / LCD screen Nav system will continue to work even when you no longer subscribe to Onstar.

But you can easily find out: just allow Onstar to expire, and then try to use the LCD screen based Nav System!

Seems like increasingly new cars are "moving on" from these first generation Nav sytems, which rely on the GPS system to provide your car's actual position, but then project it onto a static map of local roads stored in your car Nav System's physical memory. Instead, newer Nav Systems get the later piece of information from the internet in real time - the same way Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, etc do.

If you mostly drive in well-populated areas with a good cellular/LTE coverage, that's better for 3 reasons:
1. No expensive upgrade option to purchase on the car;
2. Maps are always current, in real time; and
3. Your auto maker isn't hawking $150 CD upgrades every year for the stored Maps in your Nav System.

(But, if you find yourself in an area with no cell signal/LTE coverage, you will probably still have a GPS signal, and so your GEN 1 Nav system w/ maps loaded onto your car's Nav system will still work! Whereas Google Maps on you phone may not...)

jobear1

Postby jobear1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:06 pm

The Nav system will work without OnStar. Just like any Nav system in any car.
For those without a Nav sytem or OnStar, I have found an app called CoPilot, on iTunes, and it will work without using data. Cool huh?
Turn your phone to airplane mode and it still works, as it runs off of the phone GPS. $9.99, and you can download maps from all over the world if you have enough space on your phone.
So this is a great item if you don't have a decent data plan, don't need to use your phone for a while, but do need directions.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”