Volt in winter?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
bjrosen

Volt in winter?

Postby bjrosen » Tue May 24, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm thinking about getting a 2016 Volt. I live in New England so I'm concerned about how well the Volt performs in winter, I'm especially concerned with the lack of AWD.

1) How well does it handle in snow and on ice?
2) How well does the heater work? I've seen reviews that say that you need the heated seats to keep warm.
3) How well do the window defoggers and defrosters work?

FreH

Re: Volt in winter?

Postby FreH » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:03 am

I live in Kitchener, Ontario. Our winters can be very cold and we often get lots of snow. I bought my 2016 Volt in January and have over 13000 km (about 7800 miles) on it already. Performance on winter roads has been good. I haven't tried a snow tire on the car, it's "heaviness" and solid feel were enough to make me feel safe this winter. We did not have a huge amount of snow this year. It's low undercarriage did concern me, I did not want to test out too many unplowed roads. Electric mileage decreases in cold temperatures to about 35-40 miles per charge. Right now, I am getting 50+ miles per charge in warm weather. If I don't use the car much during the day, I don't even plug it in overnight. The gas engine performs very well, I get great mileage on longer drives. The car has been to Montreal, Illinois and Kentucky in the four and half months I have owned it. I make regular 70 mile trips to Toronto using a combination of electric and gas. Highway speeds of 75 mph are common and the Volt performs nicely. Very solid and not influenced by the wind of larger vehicles near it. Oddly, the noise the gas engine makes can be bothersome, I have become very used to the quiet of electric drive. So far, not complaints. I wish General Motors had given this car a decent sized trunk/storage area. I am a golfer and have to put one seat down to put my golf clubs in the car comfortably. I knew that going in, but some of those execs must play golf :lol:

goosef16

Postby goosef16 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:03 pm

great to hear.. I plan to drive mine from northern indiana to chicago this winter.

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:13 pm

I live near the coast in Maine and had a 2012 Vault until just recently when I traded up to the 2017 model. We get pretty brutal winters here and the Volt performed extremely well. The tires are sufficient for winter driving, and the low center of gravity really helps. I was disappointed that the stock tires only lasted about 30,000 miles and upgraded them to better Continentals rated for 70,000 miles, but that's a separate issue. As long as you know how to drive in bad weather, I don't think you'll have any trouble at all. The traction control system works extremely well in my experience.

I didn't have the heated seats, and found the vehicle heater to be a little sluggish. I made a habit of always preheating the vehicle by activating it remotely while it was still plugged into the charger at home. This really helped to bring the cabin temperature up to something tolerable in the dead of winter temperatures are down below 0°F.

Both the front and rear defogger's are quite effective, and I have seen no problems with them at all. In fact I sometimes use the front defogger just to get warm because it seems to warm the cabin faster than the basic climate control settings.
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

TobinB

Postby TobinB » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Just curious. I just bought a 2017 for use in Green Bay WI and am wondering if I should leave the "winter engine assist heat" setting at 35'F or switch it to the 15'F setting. I'll probably preheat the car in the garage plugged in with the remote start and also "plugged in engine assisted heat" setting DISABLED of course. Which setting did you use in Maine?

fierceoutlaw

Postby fierceoutlaw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:46 pm

I live in the southern California mountains, We have to carry chains in our vehicle at all times. Numerous times through the winter we have mandatory chain control. I'm wondering what options I have for my 2014 Volt. It states no chains.... would that also go for cables or spikes-spider? I need to know if anyone has an idea or verification of what will work or am I out of luck.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”