Leave plugged in when not charging?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
VeronicaV

Leave plugged in when not charging?

Postby VeronicaV » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:48 am

Should I leave my car plugged in after it's charged? I recently purchased a 2013 model, and I'm not sure how long it should be plugged in after it has completely charged. I do plug it in when it's hot in the afternoon over 90°(I'm in Florida). Otherwise, should I just unplug it once the battery has charged?

leppard3

Re: Leave plugged in when not charging?

Postby leppard3 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:13 pm

It is recommended that you do leave the car plugged in even after it is fully charged. Even when the car is just sitting, it will maintain the battery temperature at the predetermined set temperature range. If it remains plugged in ,it will use external power to maintain battery temperature, if you unplug it, you will use the high voltage battery to maintain the temperature, thus reducing your range. You will not hurt anything by leaving it plugged in until your next drive.

VeronicaV

Re: Leave plugged in when not charging?

Postby VeronicaV » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks very much. My car gets to spend the day in a parking garage at work, but is outside at home. I worry about leaving it plugged when it's exposed to the elements, but I guess they designed it with that in mind.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”