Why I Bought a 2017 Volt and not Bolt

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
VoltEnthusiast

Why I Bought a 2017 Volt and not Bolt

Postby VoltEnthusiast » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:07 am

It was a rather wrenching decision to buy a Volt and not wait for the Bolt. These days it seems all the media attention is on the forthcoming Bolt. On the other hand, not much is being said about the 2017 Volt. It is, afterall, still a second generation Volt update for 2017, one of which is the availability of Adaptive Cruise Control. Having said that, my 2017 is essentially a 2016, and although I have not had it for 100 days, yet, I am pleased with the performance. For me, having been the proud owner of a 2010 Toyota Prius, it was important to me to achieve efficiency with respect to gas consumption. Also, I am more cognizant about the environment and wanted to "drive electric". So, I am happy to find I can, for example, go 66 miles on a charge and get 51 mpg on gas. These numbers beat my Prius hands down, and for performance comparison, I am the same driver for both the Prius and now my new Volt. Under the same driving conditions I was getting perhaps 52 mpg with my hybrid Prius, but now I can drive totally electric for 66 miles. Wow! Ok, so why didn't I wait for the Bolt, you may ask. The Bolt promises 234 miles or thereabouts on a full charge, but it comes without any gas backup. It also comes with a lot of very cool tech, and compared to my 2010 Prius, it made it look like a car from prehistoric times. Why in the world would I prefer the Volt? Was it that I chickened out from "range anxiety"? The Volt goes 66 miles on a charge for me and that means I will normally drive each and every day totally electric. If I go on long trips, I can stop for gas. I was all set for getting the Bolt until I realized that the infrastructure for charging stations is not yet mature. The Level Three stations the Bolt requires are few in my area. Also, it was going to take 30 minutes to get 90 miles added in a charge. I like being a pioneer, but not when it is also going to be an inconvenience for me on long trips. I don't like having to reserve a spot in a waiting line ahead of arrival at a station. Call it what you want, but I decided to wait for our country's charging infrastructure to mature. In the meantime, I have a very nice, high tech car that can go totally electric every day for me, the 2017 Volt! :D

VoltEnthusiast

Re: Why I Bought a 2017 Volt and not Bolt

Postby VoltEnthusiast » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Today I read about the Federal Department of Transportation will push for 48-Corridors of EV Charging with stations every 50 miles. If I had bought a Bolt, I would be dependent on finding one of those EV Charging Stations, specifically DC Fast of the CSS kind which works with the Bolt and can add up to 90 miles of charge in half an hour. The Federal initiative sounds like good news, but only for 38 states through which these corridors will travel. As for Florida, only Jacksonville off of I-95 is covered. Good luck if you happen to live near one of these corridors. With buying my Volt, I recognized our national DC Fast CSS Charging is not mature. I ended up compromising for a gas backup for trips over 50 miles. The Volt, alas, has no DC Fast capability, but if it did, it would take no more than 15 minutes to get 50 more miles. Still, with gas I wouldn't have to make stops every 50 miles (or 90 miles for the Bolt). So, the other half of any fast charging equation solution is the need for technology to improve, either with batteries or charging, to reduce the required time for charging to full for any size of battery and range. This is not to say the Bolt is not a very good EV right now, and it may very well be the beginning of a great new line of EV cars for Chevy. :)

MrSustainable

Postby MrSustainable » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:46 pm

I just traded in my 2012 Volt for a least 2017 model. My dealer made me an offer I could not refuse on both the trade-in and lease rate. I too had been waffling on the whole Bolt versus Volt issue and it came down to some very pragmatic issues. I like the larger Volt body because I have Rhino Racks for my handbuilt wooden canoe that I use often in the summer here in Maine and I'm not sure how well roof racks would fit on the Bolt. Also, the Volt can fit 8 foot lumber INSIDE. I have actually transported 5 - 8ft 2 x 12's inside the vehicle - and a couple of large solar panels (on separate occasions).

Over the last four years I have purchased between 40 gallons and 60 gallons per year to operate my 2012 model because most of my driving is local. I fully expect to get range in the mid-60s because I have been driving hybrids since 2000. But the raw power available in the 2017 is AWESOME! I have burned rubber three times since driving it off the lot yesterday while yelling at the top of my lungs: "YIPPEE!". Also I do like the option of being able to take a longer trip without range anxiety or having to rent (or borrow) another vehicle.

Bottom line though, I think the new Volt is a very sexy vehicle. I like the new style lines and they have addressed every issue of concern that I had with the old model. I just cannot see a reason to buy or even lease a Bolt given my lifestyle and usage.
2017 Blue volt: SUN PWRD
My Volt web page: http://www.arttec.net/Chevy_Volt/index.htm

VoltEnthusiast

Postby VoltEnthusiast » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:56 am

Compared to you I am quite the "newbie" with my 2nd Gen Volt. I apparently missed out on the power on/off "fun" of the 1st Gen Volts. You've paid your dues as a pioneering Volt owner! Glad to know, too, that Chevy listens to their customers. After having my Volt for a few weeks I wanted to report that I still am learning more about it, but also to say that I am extremely happy with the car, "sexy" or not. (There was no comparison to my old Prius which was dependable, but also no fun to drive.) I finally managed to get 70 miles on a full charge and drove it about that distance on a short trip before shifting to gas so that was good news. So what if the Bolt can go 238 on a charge? Like yourself I am not making that many 238 miles trips. :) I'm also happy I did not bother to buy a home charging station. Plugging it into standard house current whenever I'm not using the Volt keeps it "filled up". I only use 12-amps charging if I have a near empty battery and want to get it charged up by morning. All in all, my experience with the 2017 Volt has been what I hoped for.

nmikmik

Postby nmikmik » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 pm

I was too considering the Bolt and kind of still am even after leasing the Volt. In order for me to lease the Bolt it would have to be in the range of the Spark affordability, not at where it is right now. After driving Chevy Spark EV for almost three years I can safely say that from now on I will always drive some sort of electric. Spark is a great vehicle, but the range is not there especially if you utilize the "fun factor" or 400lbs of torque. The Bolt will have a great range but will face the charging issues on the longer trips, so it still can't replace my ICE car for that purpose but the Volt can, easy choice for me. Good point about fast charge capabilities on the Volt, would be nice to have. To be honest I used mine on the Spark maybe handful of times.

pumpkintrust1

Postby pumpkintrust1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:40 pm

I as well considering the Bolt and the 50 kw charging capacity with the CCS rapid charges acquiring 53 miles in 30 minutes since 80 kw capacity appears not to be available, so essentially needing about 4 hours to acquire about 200 miles discourages long travel. The other issue is the cost to charge the Volt or the Bolt is about the same. Plus, the cost of gas vs. electricity is also about the same. With the Bolt,240 volts at 32 amps, 9.5 hours of charging is about 73 kwh at even .17 kwh at 238 miles is 5.21 cents a mile. With the Volt, 240 volts at 16 amps for 4.5 hours is about 17 kwh at even again .17 kwh is $2.94 or over 53 miles is 5.56 cents a mile. Using $2.59 at 42 miles a gallon is 6.17 cents a mile. Factor also in the high cost of charging stations this can add up to be pretty expensive for taking a Bolt on trips.

wongfeihong187

Postby wongfeihong187 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 am

Me too. Just leased a Volt due to the Asian conquest incentive in March that put the price of the Volt under $150 a month for three years without any money out of pocket (taking an account for the CA rebate of $1500). Agreed that Bolt prices for purchase and lease is way too much to consider. Maybe in three years when my Volt lease is up there will be more choices/prices for all electric vehicles.

JoeReal

Postby JoeReal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Sure wish that GM can have a Voltec in the Chevy Bolt so that it can totally be our long distance car. I love our 2017 Chevy Volt, but my wife doesn't like how low she rides in it. It is not a long distance driving car for her. She liked how she's seated in the Chevy Bolt, but alas, she doesn't like to plan her long distance trips around charging stations and their limitations. If only there's a Voltec inside the Bolt, even if it is $10K more, she would buy it in a heart beat. Even the Tesla she doesn't like for the simple reason that most places we want to explore outdoors and hiking have no fast chargers.

PatWo

Postby PatWo » Mon May 01, 2017 10:53 pm

I'll be buying the Volt soon. Thanks for the advice.

VoltEnthusiast

Postby VoltEnthusiast » Thu May 11, 2017 5:04 am

I just wanted to report my pleasure on receiving the full $7,500 "rebate" on my Federal Income Return for having bought a Volt. That certainly helped with the purchase of a new Volt. As Chevrolet continues to roll out sales of their Bolt to other states, total sales will continue to the point of a diminishing return of that $7,500 rebate so I am happy to get all of it. Indeed, it appears monthly Bolt sales are beginning to eclipse Volt sales as it expands into more and more states. Aside from interior space differences, your local EV charging infrastructure should be an important consideration for choosing between getting a Volt or the Bolt. As for me, I chose the Volt because of our lack of local infrastructure and I did not need more than four seats.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”