Gen 2 Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
bbenoy

Gen 2 Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

Postby bbenoy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:56 am

Starting a thread to discuss pros/cons of the new lane keep assist on the 2017 Gen 2 Volt.

Pro: the active lane keeping feature is nice and not over stimulating with dings and false alarms. It takes some getting used to but the gentle nudge has surprisingly helped me to drive better, especially on turns.

Con: One major issue I have found is the computer will falsely build a lane model that is not true to the road. For example: two lane country roads with a solid double yellow or dashed yellow center divide. My vehicle will ignore the yellow middle lines and assume the two lane width of the road is one lane (green lka light is active). This is particularly concerning because as you crest a steep hill, the system will nudge you towards the center of the road!! It takes some getting used to the sensation/feeling of losing control when you are driving the vehicle and it steers you in a direction you are not intending to go. You have to overcome the force of the steering override which is easy to do, but nonetheless unnerving to say the least. All this being said, do not ever assume the LKA is always going to be right and always keep a good grip on the steering wheel!

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”