2017 Volt battery - how low does it discharge?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
JLem

2017 Volt battery - how low does it discharge?

Postby JLem » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:16 am

I have a new 2017 Volt and I know that the battery capacity is 18.4 KWH. However, when I check the info screen that provides details "since last full charge", I've noticed that it never has gotten close to 18.4 KWH used, even when run from fully charged to fully discharged. It usually sits around 14.something KWH used. Does this sound accurate? Does the Volt have ~4 KWH of charge when "fully" discharged?

leppard3

Re: 2017 Volt battery - how low does it discharge?

Postby leppard3 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:45 pm

I have written a response to a similiar question, but I don't have the exact figures so I will give a "general" idea what is happening.
Again, I don't recall the exact number, but the Volt only uses about 70% of the battery. It will NOT fully charge, say it stops charging at 90% battery capacity. And it will switch to the range extender gas engine when the battery drops to 20% capacity. This is done for 1. to preserve some battery power for hills, mountains, etc.. and 2. to extend battery life by not fully charging OR discharging the battery.
I have the first gen 2011 model and have over 100,000 miles with almost no signs of loss of range on the battery. For the 2011 model, GM said it would get 35 mile range. I at least average that many, and it's not unusual for me to get over 40 miles per charge.

So, to answer your question, 14KWH seems very reasonable. You are only using the "middle" portion of the battery and it seems to be working the way they planned.

Guard65

Re: 2017 Volt battery - how low does it discharge?

Postby Guard65 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:54 am

You may also note that on most batteries should not be discharged below 60% - 40% based on battery type and speciation (Lead acid/AGM/LIB/NiCd). Not to say you cannot discharge them below this mark but doing so reduces the life of the battery. Any good MPPT charge controller will not let a battery over discharge in order to save the batteries life cycle.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”