Remove air dam on 2017 Volt?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
wdfifteen

Remove air dam on 2017 Volt?

Postby wdfifteen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:49 am

I can't get a Volt into my garage with the air dam installed. I removed the air dam from my 2014 Volt because of this. I just bought a 2017 Volt and the dealer's service writer says removing the air dam with affect the cooling system and void the warranty. I'm not sure that is correct, but I can't get to a technical person at Chevrolet above this service writer. Has anyone else removed the air dam? How can I contact someone at Chevrolet who would know if this service writer knows what she's talking about?

BTW our 2014 Volts are the best cars we've ever owned (my wife and I each have one). I expected the 2017 to be even better if I can get past this air dam issue.

jackbullion

Re: Remove air dam on 2017 Volt?

Postby jackbullion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:22 am

I have a 2017 and have experienced many time that the front air dam has scraped the pavement when going over dips and bumps.

The design is such that it moves air both to the sides and up into the radiators in front of the engine compartment. Removing the air dam can definitely affect cooling of both the gas engine and battery pack. You don't want to remove it.

If you can determine how high the lip is getting into the garage and how much clearance you still need, you might, and I emphasize might, be able to grind off a little from the bottom of the air dam. I would think that the better solution would be to get the needed clearance by beveling the lip of the garage floor to get the clearance needed or making a gentle rise in front of the garage lip that gets the same effect.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”