Problems Anyone?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
samiamx_1999

Problems Anyone?

Postby samiamx_1999 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 am

Thought we could all access this thread as an umbrella topic to all problems. Hopefully, this is immediately defunct. However, bought my Volt, #220, yesterday, and on the drive home experienced constant dropout through all radio bands/options, e.g. FM, XM. Tested with CD today, same problem. Does not exhibit when parked/running, solely when driving. Obviously a loose connection somewhere, hopefully easily remedied. Far dealership I bought from was surprised, nearest dealership does not service Volts yet. Will keep y'all posted. If anyone has experienced such a thing, please help!

sck_nogas

Re: Problems Anyone?

Postby sck_nogas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 am

I have an iPhone 3GS (running 4.2.1) connected through the USB port, and everything seems fine...

But after 5-6 songs (15-25 minutes) the music stops. Not that it pauses, just that there is no audio anymore. It'll switch to the next song, I can chose different playlists, artists, tracks, but no audio...

If I unplug the USB port or the phone and plug it back in, the music playback resumes. I have reset my phone several times and no change.

Yesterday, I took it to the dealer and they plugged in their iPod nano and it never did it. But it did it to me on the way home... :(

Thoughts?

samiamx_1999

Postby samiamx_1999 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Well, I'm almost embarassed to post this, but in the interest of candor...so my sound problem appears to have been a result of a navigational voice command that overrode the stereo. I disabled a preset destination that was in the vehicle and the drop out problem was solved. The mystery remaining is why you would have a voice command that you cannot hear.

For anyone else out there considering a Volt, let me add a few things. The Chevy dealerships were amazingly supportive across the board, over the top really. Another issue cropped up, which is that the first mile I drive eats up about 8 miles in battery charge. It is not my driving. It may be the climate adjustments, defog et al. The turning radius of the car is amazing. I also like the auto dimming of headlights in the rear view mirror.

Re the iphone issue, sorry no clue, but I hope it resolves quickly!

Cheers, Sam

sck_nogas

Convenience Charger Cord fraying?

Postby sck_nogas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:40 am

I got a new problem!!! (8 days into Volt ownership) A new record!!!!

This morning, I noticed the following condition of my 110v convenience charger.
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG (71.5 KiB) Viewed 8477 times

As you can see in the image, the cord from the charger unit to the car has "cracked" the plastic and now the wiring is becoming exposed.

The reason I think is that for the charging locations that I have to charge at work, the outlet is on the wall with no place to "hang" the charger as yet, thus the charger hangs from the outlet to charger cord and the charger itself is hanging free in the air.
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG (59.34 KiB) Viewed 8477 times
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG (59.75 KiB) Viewed 8477 times

Maybe a better mounting diagram or recommendations for the manual would be needed?

Scott

SanPedroVoltster

Postby SanPedroVoltster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Overall I absolutly love my new Volt. With regard to problems, I really hate the air dam. It scrapes on every driveway, and I can't pull up into parking spots that have the concrete wheel stops. It's a trade off between damaging the air dam, or leaving the back side further out where someone is more likely to bump into it. Does anyone know how many extra mpg it yields on the freeway? I'd like to just take the air-dam off.

On a different note, I can't get any heat from the hvac system unless I set the temperature to at least 78 degrees. With 59 degress outside, and a setting of 74 degress on the climate controls, my short ride home is a bit chilly. I have also noticed that the AC light is ON when set to the AUTO position, unless I really crank up the temp setting. (No charging before I drive, and the car was sitting outside in the dark) And despite my best efforts, the auto heated seat feature never comes on. (Yes I set the config, and the button on the climate screen)
Alright I live in LA, but us California boys expect heat from the hvac system when it's below 60 outside... burr

sck_nogas

Postby sck_nogas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Oh, on a side note. I looked at my 110v convenience charger again and noticed that the rubber "strain relief" is already cracked and starting to separate again. But the cord hasn't pulled out yet. Has anyone else had an issue with the 110v convenience chargers?

I mean I plug in at home, put the 110v convenience charger on the work bench, and plug into the wall with no strain on either end of the cables. I then unplug the 110v convenience charger from the wall, loop the cord loosely over my hand holding the 110v convenience charger handle as I walk to the car, about 5-6 loops total, and then put the entire thing in the backseat foot well behind the driver seat.

At work, I plug at the wall, let the 110v convenience charger hang from the plug (no mounts yet) and walk to the car and plug in. At no time have I pulled on the cable that connects car to 110v convenience charger, yet this is the area that "cracks"? Never had an issue like this with any extension cords or previous EVs.

I've had the car less than two months, and I'm already on my second charger? I will still be charging at work, so even after SPX does the install of the home 240v unit, I will need to use the 110v convenience charger.

Anyone?

sck_nogas

Airdam & damn tabs

Postby sck_nogas » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:11 pm

I have tucked in the tabs for the air dam about 5 times now, but I keep hitting the air dam on driveways, speed bumps, etc... That pop it out. Been thinking about just heat welding the two parts together, but it's a lease.

Anyone else?

TommyBoy

Re: rubber airdam

Postby TommyBoy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:24 pm

I've given up on it. I use to fix the tabs, but it scrapes EVERY time I go over one drainage gullie in the road at an intersection I have to cross everytime I head down our hill. Now I simply don't do anything.
Volt #898, aka "Heidi" (my greyhound) :cool:
GBV - Cyber Grey Metallic with upgrades: Premium Trim, Park Assist, Polished Al Wheels

sck_nogas

Postby sck_nogas » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 am

To Document the issues I raised yesterday, here's the images in question...
The cracked strain relief...
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG (80.6 KiB) Viewed 8262 times

The loosely looped way I carry the charger...
IMG_0832.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG (73.12 KiB) Viewed 8262 times

Lastly, the charger on the work bench (with clutter)
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG (154.07 KiB) Viewed 8262 times

Anyone see anything I'm doing wrong?

Scott

sck_nogas

Postby sck_nogas » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:16 am

Well, I never thought it would happen to me twice... :)
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG (58.41 KiB) Viewed 8117 times

Yup, the cable on my replacement convenience charge came out today. :(

Sent email to my dealer and Volt Advisor to see what to do next.

Scott

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”