Problems Anyone?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
trb

Re: Problems Anyone?

Postby trb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:58 am

Regarding psaunders300 problems; I have experienced a similar experience. My Volt was flawless for the first 6 weeks, or so. Then I received a notice from my dealer regarding the battery enhancement and cord recall. The dealer had my car for 3 to 4 days and when I picked it up there were not any problems with the vehicle. After driving the car for a day or two the check engine light came on. So, I had the car in the garage charging and decided to call OnStar to see if they could provide a code associated with the check engine light. While the car was plugged in I turned it on (electric only mode) and called OnStar. As I was talking with OnStar about the check engine light the gas engine/generator started running. At first I didn't know what the heck was going on and realized the engine was running. I explained this to OnStar and they provided me with 6 codes beginning with "U" and told me to get the car into the dealer the next morning. I shut the engine off and unplugged the car and called the dealer telling them I would be there @ 6:45AM for service. So, the next morning I go to start the car, figuring it would start with the gas engine, but the car went into "auxilliary mode" only and would not start. What a wonderful way to start my day! I called OnStar and a tow truck was dispatched to tow my car to the dealer. After about 3 hours the car was at the dealer and I was on my way to work. The car has been at the dealer for two days now and I am waiting to see what the problem is. Frankly I am embarrassed. I live in a small court where everyone saw my new Volt being towed away. My neighbors have also seen me driving a loaner vehicle from the dealer on tow occasions now. I also work at a facility with a lot of engineers and many coworkers were excited about the Volt when I purchased it and were very inquisitve. My coworkers have seen me driving a loaner vehicle now a couple of times and are all asking what is going on with the Volt. I love this car but am embarrassed! When I do get the vehicle back I am concerned that the car will die on me again and I will be left stranded or even worse, my wife could be stranded. I have never had this happen to me before and I am really disappointed. It's unfortunate too because my neighbors and coworkers were excited about the Volt but now they are talking negative about it and for those that were considering to buy a Volt have now changed their minds. The Volt Advisor Team has been involved and I hope they can assist in getting to the root of the problem.

Chevrolet Cust Svc

Postby Chevrolet Cust Svc » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 am

@ trb,

I do want to sincerely apologize for everything you have been through recently with your Volt. Our team will continue to assist and do all we can to get to the bottom of this and get you back into your Volt as soon as possible. Let us know if there is anything we can do to be of assistance to you.

877-486-5846/voltda101@gmexpert.com

Volt Advisor Trevor
Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team
If you have any further questions feel free to contact the Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team
(877) 486-5846
Volt Advisor Hours:
Monday - Friday 8AM to 11PM EST.
Saturday 11AM to 8PM EST.

Closed on Sunday.

trb

Postby trb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:41 am

Thank you for the offer. The Volt was ready for pick-up at the dealer this past Friday and it was a welcome sight. Unfortunately it's back at the dealer first thing Monday morning. At least I was able to drive it to the dealer and avoid having the car towed. The check engine light came back on and the car is cycling between electric and gas while idling and driving. Onstar gave me 6 codes (all 6 were present during the last service visit) and said there was another communication error issue. My Volt Advisor is aware and GM's TAC team is still involved.
I wish GM would take some serious action and give me a new vehicle that works the way it was designed and that I can trust to leave my house with. Even if this issue gets resolved I will not feel confident taking the car on an extended trip because of its history.

RMK

Postby RMK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:15 am

I wish GM would take some serious action and give me a new vehicle that works the way it was designed and that I can trust to leave my house with. Even if this issue gets resolved I will not feel confident taking the car on an extended trip because of its history.

That seems like a reasonable request under the circumstances. I purchased my Volt yesterday and had I read about your experience before buying, I might have taken another look at Prius ...

I hope this is resolved to your satisfaction quickly. Chevrolet needs to step up.

trb

Postby trb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm

RMK, Until I started having problems with my Volt I will tell you that I really enjoyed the car. I love the fact that in 1,500 miles I only used 0.7 gallons of gas and am still on the same tank of gas that came with the car. This car drives, handles and looks great. When I bought the car I did not tell anyone because I was curious if coworkers, friends and family would take notice. Much to my surprise when people realized I was driving the "new Volt" they were most curious and inquisitive. I enjoyed talking about the car and people were just as excited to hear about. Again, this was all unsolicited. I have not gone out of my way to tell anyone (other than this website) what issues I was having with the car and just like when I purchased it they noticed. Now they notice I am not driving the Volt but have had a different loaner vehicle each week for the last 3 weeks (and will have another loaner vehicle tomorrow). So needless to say their impression of this vehicle has gone from extremely high to negative criticism. It is embarrasing!
Now to continue with my Volt problems. I picked the car up this past Thursday and the very next day I started having charging issues with the charging cord. The red light came on, below the asterisk, and the car would not charge. I took it back to the dealer after having the car overnight to show them what was happening. The first time we tried the charging cord it worked properly and they were looking at me like I was crazy. Fortunately I unplugged the cord from the wall, and the car, and plugged them both back in and the flashing red light went on just as it did at my house. So on Friday they gave me a new charging cord and the vehicle has been charging just the way it should. Now, two days later I start the car and the check engine light is on AGAIN. I called onstar and while on hold the gas engine started running and the "Propulsion power reduced" message appears onscreen (the car is fully charged so this is not normal). Onstar runs their diagnostics and 4 communication errors codes are associated with this occurrence. I contacted the Volt Advisor (Kelly) and she was apologetic for all that has been going on. The Volt advisor will contact my dealer tomorrow morning and ask them to deliver a car to me at work and they will drive the Volt back to the shop. I just hope I make it to work without the car dying.
As I said earlier, and this might sound crazy, I love everything about the Volt and how it is supposed to function. I researched the vehicle for a couple of months prior to purchasing and all reviews, both professional and by owners, were nothing but positive. It's just unfortunate that a car like mine slips through the cracks and even more unfortunate that it ended up in my hands. I am totally lost on what to do. I personally feel that GM should replace this car with a new Volt. The Volt I currently own would be perfect for their engineers to study and hopefully prevent this from happening to anyone else. I should also note that I am not bad-mouthing GM or the Volt. I am just plain frustrated!
I wish you good luck with your Volt and hope you have a trouble free experience, as you should!

RMK

Postby RMK » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:52 am

trb, this is very disturbing. The idea of, and technology in the Volt is great if it works. In your case, it apparently doesn't. Please keep this thread going by posting any changes to the status of your Volt. If Volt representatives are reading this Message Board (as they should be) then perhaps the right button will be pushed to get this resolved to your satisfaction.

You are a very patient man as I would have driven the car (or had it towed) back to the dealership and demanded another car. :x

trb

Postby trb » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:02 am

RMK, The car is back at the shop this morning. I talked with my Volt Advisor and asked her to request someone from the TAC team to perform or assist in performing the necessary repairs on this vehicle. It would be a good opportunity for the TAC team to see first-hand what has been done and whether repairs were performed to specifications. It is my understanding the District Rep. for my dealer has been made aware so I'm curious if they will have any input.
I read in the paper that the MVP of the All Star game will get a new Chevrolet. Makes me feel good when GM presents a millionaire a free car for playing a game yet a paying customer PURCHASES a new vehicle with their own money and can't drive it because the car is constantly in the shop.
As you can tell, the patience is running thin!

RMK

Postby RMK » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:36 am

trb,

I understand your frustration. I would feel the same but then, I am not having any issues (knock on wood) with my July 4th purchased Volt. Buying an American car on the 4th of July, how patriotic is that? ... ;).

I actually traded in a Jaguar convertible for the Volt and my friends are saying I am having a "reverse mid-life crisis". A crisis of conscience is more like it ... :) .

trb

Postby trb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:20 am

RMK,

Trading in a Jaguar for an American made Volt.........how cool is that! Fits right in with baseball, apple pie and Chevrolet. I live in Brownstown, MI, the same town that the battery pack assembly plant is located and the Volt is assembled in Hamtramck which is only 30 minutes, or so, from my house. I am proud to have purchased an American made car too!

When the dealer picked my car up on July 9th, the check engine light was on, the gas engine was running during a full battery charge and there were 4 codes associated with all that was happening. The dealer cleared out the codes and drove the Volt until Friday, July 13th and did not have one issue. They felt this latest issue was due to one of two things. First they thought it may have been due to me charging the car in a 110V circuit that was not a dedicated circuit. While they had the car in the shop they charged it everyday using my charging unit. I asked the dealer to find out if the outlet they were using was a dedicated circuit and they found out it was not, so I feel we eliminated that as a possibility. Plus, I charged my car using the same 110V circuit in my garage for the first 6 weeks without a problem. Eliminating that left only one possible cause for what happened, according to repair team. I mentioned in an earlier post (prior to this most recent problem) that my charging unit started acting up so I took the charging unit and car back to the dealer. While we were there we plugged and unplugged the faulty unit two times before it acted up for the dealer. They had a new charging unit to replace it with so we plugged in and unplugged the new unit about half a dozen times to make sure it didn't act up, and it didn't. Within the next couple of days is when the check engine light came on, along with engine running during full charge and 4 diagnostic codes, so between the dealer, the TAC Team and the Regional Engineer they feel that plugging/unplugging multiple times within a short period of time caused an electrical spike resulting in the check engine light, etc........... I have driven the car since Friday without any issues so I hope everything is finally resolved. My fingers are crossed.

Each time I get the car back from the dealer I feel like I just got a new car, well almost new. I really do enjoy driving the Volt and even with all the problems, I'm not sorry I purchased it. I am still amazed that I have not put any gas in the car since I bought it.

RMK

Postby RMK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 am

Good Morning trb,

Hopefully your issues are over and you can start enjoying the little technological marvel you purchased. I was at the dealer picking up my license plates (very anxious to get the California HOV Lane stickers) and the sale guy who sold me the car had finally undergone training the day before and had a few tips. One caution involved jump starting and not using a running vehicle to jump start the Volt using the terminals in the engine bay. They suggest that we use the terminals on top of the main battery under the hatch floor. He said the battery and electronics could be damaged by inconsistent voltage from a running engine charge to the front battery terminals. The charging system may be a vulnerable area and that may be the cause of your issues. Good thing the battery and charge system have the long warranty :) .

Here's hoping that your are on your way to many years of trouble free motoring ... 8-)

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”