Location based charging profile?

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
sck_nogas

Location based charging profile?

Postby sck_nogas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 am

Here's my problem...

I have just switched to TOU at my home, so I've configured the Volt to only charge off-peak/mid-peak to reduce cost.

But, there is charging at my work, so I want to charge immediately when I'm at work and whenever I plug in.

What I'd like is the ability to have location aware charging profiles.

When within 1/4 mile (for GPS variability) of a location use the profile associated with that location.

Thoughts?

Scott

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: Location based charging profile?

Postby PatrickZWang » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 am

Hey Scott,

That would be a neat feature, in the meantime, you can set to temporary immediate charge mode when you open your charge door while you are still inside the car. Also if you plug in the Volt twice in a session it will automatically change to immediate charge.

You might already know that but something to try if you didn't!

Patrick

sck_nogas

Postby sck_nogas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 am

So, just plug in, wait a second, un-plug, then plug in? Or do I have to wait for the horn honk?

Scott

sck_nogas

Postby sck_nogas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Or you can select on the screen BEFORE you plug your car in to charge immediately. Did not see that this morning. :)

Scott

frede

Postby frede » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:47 pm

sck_nogas wrote:So, just plug in, wait a second, un-plug, then plug in? Or do I have to wait for the horn honk?

Scott

You don't need to wait even a second (certainly not the 5 seconds it takes to get the beep). I've done it super quick just pulling out as soon as I put it in, then right back in and it starts charging.

The other option is to use the smartphone app if you have it. There is an option to "charge now" when it's in delayed mode.

sktr 20i

Postby sktr 20i » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 am

I contacted PG&E and was told in my area (Benicia) there is no option for peak/non-peak charging for residential customers so I am paying 29 cents per kwh to charge my Volt. At those rates it is actually cheaper to run on gas then electirc.

Anything I can do to correct that without putting in a separate meter at a cost of several thousand dollars??

John.

TommyBoy

Postby TommyBoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm

sktr 20i wrote:I contacted PG&E and was told in my area (Benicia) there is no option for peak/non-peak charging for residential customers so I am paying 29 cents per kwh to charge my Volt. At those rates it is actually cheaper to run on gas then electirc.

Anything I can do to correct that without putting in a separate meter at a cost of several thousand dollars??

John.

John,

I would verify what you've been told. PG&E has been the weaklink (as far as I can see) in the set up for charging. If I were given the answer that you were, I would ask, "So if I install solar panels, you are going to pay me $0.29 per KWH or are you going to move me to E-6?"

SPX did me right and right away. Their CT installation contractor too. PG&E, however:
1) New Construction (who is responsible within PG&E for the setting up of service for EVs) CSRs provided me very different "rate evaluations" for the same set of data. I ended up doing the math myself.
2) New Construction needed to verify (again) that our location was good for the Level-2.
3) New Construction's ordering system failed to complete the rate change (3 times). I ended up talking to the Solar Power CSR who entered the rate change order that finally went through.

BTW, all is not bad with New Construction. I did have one super crackerjack rep. She advised us that we have 3 options: ToU for EV (E-9a and E-9b), keeping our existing rate, and ToU for Solar (E-6). So when I did the math, E-6 actually came out lowest based on our existing pattern of usage as well as our anticipated time of charge. And, that is the rate we moved to.
Volt #898, aka "Heidi" (my greyhound) :cool:
GBV - Cyber Grey Metallic with upgrades: Premium Trim, Park Assist, Polished Al Wheels

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”