Looking at buying a Volt. I have a few questions.

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
mariogomes

Looking at buying a Volt. I have a few questions.

Postby mariogomes » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 am

I just got back from the dealership, and I want to get some real world answers to balance the dealership info. I really want this car, but I need to know that it's worth it financially.

first question: maintenance. I suspect you probably save a ton of money on maintenance owning a Volt - I mean, you barely use the oil, the brake pads hardly get used, and it's a sealed CVT, right? apart from tires (which, granted, will be more expensive due to the low rolling resistance), is there any maintenance cost to owning the Volt? it would be nice to try and quantify it for my calculations.

second, longevity - is there any reason to think that, apart from maybe slow battery degradation, the Volt wouldn't be able to make it to a good, ripe old mileage? If it's in electric mode, it seems like a pretty simple, robust system that doesn't have a whole lot of failure points. maybe I'm oversimplifying it, though. (and how much would a battery swap cost? if that were the failure point, it seems like several grand to get it swapped to effectively restart your Volt from the beginning wouldn't be a terrible move.)

any other general advice as to buying the Volt would be appreciated. I definitely know I want a gen 2, but I live in a place where you don't see a lot of EVs, so I don't have a lot of options.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”