Check engine light on

Anything not covered by the others forums post here!
Chuck

Check engine light on

Postby Chuck » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:23 pm

OK I need help. My check engine light came on.
Worrying, I took my Volt to the dealer to find out what was the problem...they said there was no problem..and the light went out...and they said that maybe I had charged the car in the rain...or that there was something wrong with my 240v charger...anyway there was nothing wrong with the car... and On Star agreed.

So a few weeks went by and now its on again. I havent taken it to the dealer but I have run the battery down to the gas stage to see if that helped...but it didnt. I tried charging it with 110v instead of 240v to see if that helped and it didnt. I asked On Star if there was a problem...they didnt answer. So now should I take it back to the dealer??

Anyone else having this problem??

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: Check engine light on

Postby PatrickZWang » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey Chuck,

When you called onStar, did they pull the vehicle codes when the light was on? Typically they can do this and give you a diagnosis without you having to go in.

Patrick

trb

Postby trb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 am

As Patrick said, call OnStar when the light is on. My check engine light came on and stayed on for a few days. The light went out and has not come back on since. I called OnStar regarding another issue and mentioned the check engine light and they told me to contact them when the light is on and they will run a diagnostics to see if there is a code associated with the check engine light and the dealer will take it from there. My car is now in for the battery reinforcement upgrade (I'm a bit nervous about that) and I mentioned the check engine light to the Service Department, even though the light is no longer on. They ran a diagnostics and said there were some history codes (?? not sure what that meant) in the system so they deleted them. They were not sure if the history codes were the problem so time will tell.

Chevrolet Cust Svc

Postby Chevrolet Cust Svc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 am

@ Chuck,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. Is the light still present? I would try OnStar again for a diagnosis. If you again have no luck, give us a call and we will get in touch with OnStar to get the diagnosis for you.

877-486-5846

Volt Advisor Trevor
Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team
If you have any further questions feel free to contact the Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team
(877) 486-5846
Volt Advisor Hours:
Monday - Friday 8AM to 11PM EST.
Saturday 11AM to 8PM EST.

Closed on Sunday.

randypaq

Postby randypaq » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm a bit confused about why the check engine light's appearance would not set a code into the engine control computer's memory. While I've only owned my volt for about a month, I've been working on cars for a good many years. I'd be interested in learning why no code was evident, as I would have found in other cars of the past.

Randy

Adam007

Postby Adam007 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 am

when the check engine light goes on it does not tell you to pull over and contact for help. It does, however, mean that your motor needs attention as soon as possible. Based on when your car was built, the check-engine light may display or “strobe.” If your light is strobing, then your motor issue is most likely serious and you should get to a auto mechanic as soon as possible.

wheelchair access vehicle conversions | Who we are?

Return to “General Chevy Volt Forum”