Volt owners Lunch with Dan Akerson, GM Chairman & CEO

Official and Unofficial Volt Related Event Posts go here!
TommyBoy

Volt owners Lunch with Dan Akerson, GM Chairman & CEO

Postby TommyBoy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Anyone else here invited and attending this event tomorrow?
Volt #898, aka "Heidi" (my greyhound) :cool:
GBV - Cyber Grey Metallic with upgrades: Premium Trim, Park Assist, Polished Al Wheels

Joule Thief

Re: Volt owners Lunch with Dan Akerson, GM Chairman & CEO

Postby Joule Thief » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 am

Nope, did yo go? How was it?
MY12 Volt C-5274
Viridian Joule Blk Leather
08/24/2011 (1100) Order placed at dealership.
10/16/2011 (6000) Vehicle delivered to customer or dealer has completed customer paperwork.

TommyBoy

Postby TommyBoy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Here is my report...

I received an email invitation on Monday for this luncheon - namely: Volt Meet-Up with Dan Akerson in San Francisco!

"Dan Akerson, GM's Chairman & CEO, and fellow Chevy Volt owner, will be in San Francisco Wednesday, March 7. While he's in town, Dan would like to meet you and compare notes about life as a Volt owner. He'll be joined by Cristi Landy, director of Volt Marketing, and Britta Gross, director of Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Strategy, and will be offering up a casual lunch at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. Dan, Britta and Cristi are anxious to hear what you have to say about your Volt, and answer any of your questions."

Details from the invitation:

"Time: 11:30 am - 1:30 pm

Location: Hyatt Regency San Francisco Seacliff B (Second Floor)
5 Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, CA 94111

Note: Space is limited, only one guest per attendee permitted

Please park your Volt with valet and we will pick up that tab ... sorry to say that the Hyatt has yet to install chargers (but that's what a range extender is for)."

The most thorough article is here (Green Car reports) and was picked up by Autoblog and a few others. It quotes and edits a Facebook entry of another owner that was present: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/107 ... chevy-volt

What I liked about the luncheon:
1) Meeting Dan and getting my picture taken with him. See attached.

2) Meeting Britta Gross and Cristi Landy. Both went out of their way to get to every (or almost every) table of the 30 or so Volt owners to talk with us about:
    a) Infrastructure issues . For example, public EV chargers access/availability, the different "networks" and requirements for using such/other sad discoveries, support for getting our home chargers installed, PG&E, how well the DoE program worked or didn't, SPX, Coulomb Tech, ECOtality/Blink, Home Depot, etc.
    b) Product marketing. Asking us if we've sold any friends or family on buying another Volt, talking to us about what we like and don't like, how we'd position the Volt, features/designs/layouts that don't meet our driver expectations, etc.
    And I was surprised how much detail and how long they seemed to talk to so many of the tables.

3) Meeting other owners. Swapping stories. Giving away to each other our driving secrets and asking our deepest wonderings. And, even besting each other/bragging on overall MPG. At my table was a gent from Noe Valley and another from the Peninsula (that also owns a Leaf). NOTE: There were also a few women Volt owners attending. It wasn't an all white, over 40, upper middle-class crowd.

4) The Q&A session with Dan. He was open to all sorts of questions: softball as well as hard pitches.
    - When is the price going to become affordable for the average American worker?
    - Responses to the latest News headlines, etc.

Yes, as a CEO, he is paid to press the flesh and paint a good story. Even his frustrations were poised. But, his answers also seemed to be frank and forthright. And, there was even an occasional, "I'll find out, Sir" FYI: Dan went to the Naval Academy and still seems to adhere to what he was taught back then: "There are only 4 possible answers: 'Yes, Sir.' 'No, Sir.' The answer, and 'I'll find out, Sir.'"

5) The vision that Dan painted during his talk. The technologies that GM is investing in, inventing, and the brushstroke steps of and challenges to progress that he sees in the near and longer term.
Attachments
Dan+Tom_03072012.jpg
Dan & Tom, 7 March 2012
Dan+Tom_03072012.jpg (157.77 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
Volt #898, aka "Heidi" (my greyhound) :cool:
GBV - Cyber Grey Metallic with upgrades: Premium Trim, Park Assist, Polished Al Wheels

Blackdead

Postby Blackdead » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 pm

The meeting will focus on what matters most.

Return to “Chevy Volt Events”