Chevy Volt tires issue

Anything not covered by the others forums post here!
JamieD

Chevy Volt tires issue

Postby JamieD » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:07 pm

I got my 2nd Volt last month. Although overall I am a happy camper on this car, I do see an issue with it's tires needing replacement in most flat tire cases, as compared to other cars. I am not sure if anyone has had as much of tire issue with Volts as I have. On my previous Volt I had 4 flat tire incidents, 3 times I had to replace the tire and once it was deemed repairable. Now with this 2nd Volt, with barely 800+ miles on it I encountered a flat over the weekend and the dealer called up to say tire needs replacement. Upon further probing he indicated that this a frequent problem with Volts. That they replace at least 10 a month.

With a wallet hit of $183 I am starting to see how one can easily loose the value of getting a Volt if indeed this is a problem with the kind of tires, rim etc. that has been selected for this car.

Has anyone else observed this issue with tires on Volts?
http://bestringtones.mobi/sms-message-tones/,
http://bestringtones.mobi/instrumental-ringtones/,
http://bestringtones.mobi/country-music-ringtones/
Last edited by JamieD on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

leppard3

Re: Chevy Volt tires issue

Postby leppard3 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Not sure where you drive to get so many flats, that's odd right off the bat.

I have not had a flat on my Volt yet, so I really can't say, but I see no way possible that the make and model have anything to do if a tire is repairable or needs to be replaced ??????

If I get a nail in a tire on my Volt, how is that different than getting a nail in a tire on say a Nissan Sentra, you having to replace all these tires make no sense to me.
Sorry I was no help, but maybe you should go to a different tire shop.

JamieD

Postby JamieD » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:49 am

leppard3 wrote:Not sure where you drive to get so many flats, that's odd right off the bat.

I have not had a flat on my Volt yet, so I really can't say, but I see no way possible that the make and model have anything to do if a tire is repairable or needs to be replaced ??????

If I get a nail in a tire on my Volt, how is that different than getting a nail in a tire on say a Nissan Sentra, you having to replace all these tires make no sense to me.
Sorry I was no help, but maybe you should go to a different tire shop.

thanks for your advance, Leppard3

nhac chuong hay, nhạc không lời, nhạc chuông iphone
Last edited by JamieD on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:58 am

I am thinking about buying a used Volt , but have not done so yet .

Does it have a spare tire ? We had a Nissan Leaf untill some one rear ended it & totaled it . The leaf had no spare .

I agree , sounds like you are getting way more flats than most of us ?

If you are driving it flat , that will ruin a tire ?

God bless
Wyr

Gdook

Postby Gdook » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:30 pm

I clipped a curb coming out of Tims one day , only doing 5 or 10K and took out a side wall. I have never had this happen on a vehicle before. I am 66 and have been driving since 16. The design of the wheels does appear to be towards damaging the sidewall more than in other vehicles.

vevs

Postby vevs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Set the driver display to tire pressure monitor mode, and watch pressures. Low pressure not good, and pinched side wall more likely. My experience with repeated flats was caused by roofing nails falling on driveway from deteriorating roof overhanging drive.

brhargreaves

Re: Chevy Volt tires issue (and TPM)

Postby brhargreaves » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:53 am

I've had to replace two tires in 10m on my 2017 Volt (sidewall blowout of left rear when wife hit curb taking a left turn too sharply into center island). After the first time (and before a long road trip) I purchased a GM spare tire kit (doughnut tire, wheel, jack, mounting kit). I also purchased and carry a tire repair kit to be able to plug a nail hole on a road trip and a torque wrench for proper tightening of lug nuts. The spare tire kit and torque wrench worked well during the process of repairing the second flat.

COMPLICATIONS WHILE DRIVING ON THE SPARE. I know that doughnut spares have a 50mph speed limit and short range, and I expected to see low tire pressure reported by the Volt while using the spare tire kit (the spare doesn't have a tire pressure sensor). But I was surprised while driving on the spare (the second damaged tire and wheel were in the tire shop for a day): the Tire Pressure Monitor system (TPM) reported an error signal from all four tires! On investigating this I found that the manual (p.282) states that the TPM system will not function properly if one or more of the TPMS sensors is missing or inoperable. When I later replaced the spare with my full size wheel/TPM with the new tire installed on it the flat tire warnings went away only after driving a short distance (to save battery life TPM sensors are typically activated by wheel rotation or in response to the relearn tool described below).

While driving on the spare the Volt also reported on the driver's instrument console (DIC) that the forward collision system was disabled (understandable given lack of information about tire pressure). So while the doughnut spare is better than a long wait/tow on a road trip, an extra full-size wheel and tire equipped with TPM would probably be best (even though it would take up more height and width in the cargo area). Next best would be to add a TPM to the doughnut spare even though it might give inaccurate readings and the antilock braking system might not function properly because of the spare's smaller size (see warnings on p. 287 of manual).

The owner of a full-size or doughnut spare with TPM would also need to purchase a TPM relearn tool (EL-50448, $60 + shipping & tax from gmtoolsandequipment.com) to use after mounting the spare and again later when remounting the original wheel. (also needed if you do your own tire rotation). This tool is used to match each uniquely-coded TPM to the appropriate wheel position. The relearn process is described on p.283-284 of the manual.

Return to “General Chevy Volt Forum”