2012 volt vin and 110v charge cord upgrade

When Volts are available, here will be the place to talk about how to Detail, Maintain and Customize your Volt. Other good topics are charging (solar or otherwise) smartphone app usage, etc.
jwats4golf

2012 volt vin and 110v charge cord upgrade

Postby jwats4golf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

I purchased a new 2012 Chevy Volt last week and have been reading online about the battery safety upgrade and 110v charge cord upgrade. I cannot decipher my VIN to see if my car was manufactured late enough in the 2012 model year run to have the battery upgrade included at the plant or if I will need the dealer retrofit. From pictures I see online it appears I have the original 110v cord with orange disconnect trigger and the orange 3 prong plug wire from the wall outlet to the converter.
The car came off the line in 9/11 and when I called GM today, they asked for the last eight digits of the VIN which are CU105715.
I am not too worried about the battery crash safety modification as it appears to me the fire in question occurred three weeks after the crash test. I guess the additional coolant sensor might be worthwhile? If battery performance is improved it is definitely worth the time in the shop but owners don't seem to report this modification as anything more than a safety upgrade?
I would be interested in the improved 110V charging cord and have read you can exchange the original with the dealer without having to do the battery mod.
So far my VIN is not in the GM system and was told today it might take up to 45 days to be entered. So GM website was no help so far as service bulletin updates.
I also notice online that lots of Volt owners can tell the numerical order of their car in production as it came off the line. Is this the last 4 digits of the VIN?

Jeff N

Re: 2012 volt vin and 110v charge cord upgrade

Postby Jeff N » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes, the last 5 digits of the VIN represent the sequence of cars built at the factory.

All 2012 Volts built in calendar year 2012 (February 2012 and later) already have the battery update and all cars built before then do not have the battery safety update. The update is optional. The battery pack itself is removed from the car but is not modified. They add an extra steel plate in the battery tunnel under the car to prevent another steel frame member from rupturing the pack under specific conditions in a side impact crash.

All 2011 and 2012 120V charge cords with an orange cord running to the 120V plug can be exchanged for free at the dealer for a new charge cord that has a new plug design with a black cord between the plug and the EVSE box (the cord from the box to the J1772 plug for the car remains orange). Getting the replacement is optional but is a good idea if you use the 120V charge cord frequently. The new 120V plug design runs much cooler than the old design which degraded and became unusable over extended use. All 2013 Volt have an even newer 120V charge cord that does not need to be exchanged.
The answer is 0042.

Return to “Chevy Volt Owners Lounge”