Check Engine Light Comes and Goes

Anything not covered by the others forums post here!
cindyd

Check Engine Light Comes and Goes

Postby cindyd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:51 pm

I plug my Volt in every night to charge using a 240 charger installed by my electric company, DTE.

A while back the check engine light came on, so I immediately took it in to the dealership and they didn't find anything wrong.

For a good while after that everything was fine.

Recently the check engine light came on and stayed on all day. I plugged it in overnight, started it up in the next morning and the light was gone.

A day or two later, the light came back. A day or two after that the light was gone.

Anyone else having this problem?

Should I bring it in to the dealership again?

PatrickZWang
Site Admin

Re: Check Engine Light Comes and Goes

Postby PatrickZWang » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Cindy,

Have you called Onstar while the Check Engine light is on? They can generally provide the diagnostic over the phone and tell you what's up instead of having to take it into the dealer.

Patrick

cindyd

Postby cindyd » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 am

Don't have OnStar...

n8lwx442

Postby n8lwx442 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:15 pm

cindyd Purchase this inexpensive OBD Tool and plug it into your OBD connector and read the code...When you have the code I may be able to help you.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-PocketScan-Code-Reader/dp/B0007LEG2K/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

The data link connector (DLC) provides serial data communication for ECM diagnosis. This connector allows the technician to use a scan tool in order to monitor various serial data parameters, and display DTC information. The DLC is located inside the driver's compartment, underneath the instrument panel. Its easier to use than you may think...

The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List is longer than a football field or I would list it here...

trb

Postby trb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:39 am

Cindy, when you purchased your Volt it came with Onstar. The 2011 came with 5 years of Onstar and from 2012 forward, 3 years. As Patrick said, when the check engine light comes on just press the Onstar button and let them know you would like the code/codes associated with your check engine light. If Onstar cannot resolve the check engine light issue either call or take your car to the dealer along with the codes provided by Onstar.

Good Luck!

CDCrawford54

Postby CDCrawford54 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:29 am

our 11 did the same thing last week 20 & 17 mile charge. and check engine light, dealer said unless it's flashing it was save to drive. Friday got in 47 mi range, not check light. went to dealer any Friday PM
dealer plunged in the hand held reader nothing the the Volt tech can by and told him that that dose not usually work on the volt to may codes. Sat. the check checked with the stationary reader, it came back with bad cells in HV Battery, got it back last nite with a new 110 charger. seams to be better, but for some reason the new charger tripped some time in the nite for low voltage. so only got a 28 mi range, but still made the 35 miles to office on EV only. will talk to them and see if something is different with the new charger, same plug as old one that I have had not problems with since started using it.
if need be will rework power for 220 & 110 on separate circuits.

Return to “General Chevy Volt Forum”