Go Figure

Anything not covered by the others forums post here!
jobear1

Go Figure

Postby jobear1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:55 pm

So I started out today with a reading of 54 miles on battery. I drove about a mile and a half and then went down a long grade of two or three miles.
When I got to the bottom I had a reading of 64 miles on battery. The car continued to operate from that number until I got home.
If I can get it to read and operate on 64 miles of battery power by going down a hill, why won't the charging system do the same? Hmmmmm.

leppard3

Re: Go Figure

Postby leppard3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:14 pm

This is just a guess, but I know for a fact that the battery is only designed to use about 65% capacity. Meaning that it will only charge to 80% full and switch from electric to gas when the charge drops to 15%. (I don't know the actual numbers, but again I do know it uses nowhere near full capacity). This is how the battery can last so long. My 2011 is just about to turn 100,000 miles and I get MORE miles per charge now than Chevrolet said the car would get when sold new.
Anyway, I would guess when you charge the car, it stops charging at the 80% limit and that gives you 54 miles. Then if you immediately start your trip down hill, you would be charging the battery past the 80%, thus adding more electric miles to your range.
It's not that charging "can't" give you more than 54 miles, it just doesn't to prolong battery life, hope that makes sense.

jobear1

Re: Go Figure

Postby jobear1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:36 am

thanks, makes good sense to me.

Return to “General Chevy Volt Forum”